34 inches of snow dumped on Mt Washington!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow on Franconia Ridge?

Makes me wonder....I want to hike Franconia Ridge this weekend. Since they are above treeline and it said Mount Washington had snow above 3800 feet, should I worry about full winter conditions along Franconia RIdge? Anyone traveled/hiked up there recently??

grouseking

grouseking said:
Makes me wonder....I want to hike Franconia Ridge this weekend. Since they are above treeline and it said Mount Washington had snow above 3800 feet, should I worry about full winter conditions along Franconia RIdge? Anyone traveled/hiked up there recently??

grouseking

Yes, you should worry, i.e., prepare accordingly. Cannon and Lafayette cleared briefly this morning for the first time in days. Cannon is snow-free but the snow/ice line on Lafayette starts around 4500'. They're back under the clouds again now.

I would say there will be some snow/ice on franconia ridge - enough for spikes - probably not but you never know - but I would plan on wind and cold for sure.

last year around this time I went up skoomchuck (sp?) and down bridal path - no ice until laff summit but most of the bridal path was ice. pain in the arse w/o crampons. of course I left them in the parking lot becuase we didn't see any snowline AND my group didn't have any. dumb move on out part.

according to the site - there are some really cool ice/snow formations on washington right now that are rare according to the observ folks. I am thinking of haeding up there this weekend? anyone want to check it out??

Last edited:
giggy said:
according to the site - there are some really cool ice/snow formations on washington right now that are rare according to the observ folks. I am thinking of haeding up there this weekend? anyone want to check it out??
I'm going up Crawford Path on Friday.

-Dr. Wu