vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got my 35...almost twice. Would really like to start on my 46...maybe this Spring.
Is there a set of maps published for the ADKs like there are for the CATs from the NY/NJ Trail conference? If not, what maps do most people use? USGS Topos? Any info appreciated!
Thanks a lot!
IC.

There sure is! Many people these days like the National Geographic maps: http://www.adk.org/new_store/category.aspx?categoryid=15&startpage=1. They're waterproof and in color, pretty nice.

I still use the ADK maps, just because I have them with notes all over and such: http://www.adk.org/new_store/category.aspx?categoryid=15&startpage=2

You can also buy the National Geographic computer program and simply print out the maps as you need them: http://www.natgeomaps.com/adirondack_explorer.html

Hope you find some you enjoy!

Maps

there are many sources.. can get them in paper or gps form.. ADK has a book and map combo or just the map.. NG has maps which are nice too, its a waterproof paper print. Last one is just says "The Adirondacks" west-central, Hight peaks Region, Etc. All can be found at either the adk loj, gander mountain, ems, etc type places. Good luck on your journey.

Rob

I've got my 35...almost twice. Would really like to start on my 46...maybe this Spring.

I can relate. I hiked the Catskill 35 and much of a second round before seriously starting the 46er quest. I'm sure many others have similar stories, especially those who live south of the Mohawk Valley. Your experience and fitness gained in the Catskills will help a great deal.

Is there a set of maps published for the ADKs like there are for the CATs from the NY/NJ Trail conference? If not, what maps do most people use?

All of the above recommendations are good, but I prefer the National Geographic maps-waterproof is kind of an essential feature for me for outdoor maps. Have you hiked any of the 46 High Peaks yet?

Matt

The Nat. Geo/ADK series of maps are beautifully detailed, with great info and mileage, they're waterproof, and they are the main maps I use to plan trips or to carry on canoe trips... but also heavy, so I photo copy the section I'm using that day. Mainly, I use the Tyvek companion map for Barbara McMartin's series of books, "Discover the Adirondacks". ADK also has a paper High Peaks map that I used to carry in a zip lock bag. That map comes with ADK's High Peaks Guide Book, and is also available separately. Don't worry about being in good enough shape to start the 46- -just do it. I'm an old guy of fif..... over 50... lots over 50, and I just did Haystack and Basin, 2 of the tough ones. You can do it. Post your upcoming trip plans here and get some company on your hike.

Last edited:
I recently bought the NatGeo series of maps and it does seem to be the best. Before that, I would use the ADK mtn club's High Peaks map in a ziploc bag because it is not waterproof. I now, keep the ADK map in the ziploc bag as my secondary map inside my pack and use the NatGeo map folded to the right section for the bushwacks. (and will print out larger maps from MapTech USGS quads if I want more detail in a larger scale).

When compared with the NYNJTC Catskill maps, you'll find the NatGeo map bigger (as in it's one big map, as opposed to 5 smaller ones), it's in color, contours are also 50ft and not 100ft as the Catskill ones. The info is more detailed in terms of the leantos, campsites, etc. The magnetic north lines aren't rendered as the Catskills ones are. And of course, the total area is a lot more as the ADKs are much larger than the catskills.

Jay

Duh...I have a bunch of the ADK Region books with the maps in them...but you're right...not waterproof.

So ADK88...I should get the Map Pack, right? The Nat. Geo / Trails Illustrated ones? I know Trails Illustrated makes a nice product. I used their maps years ago while doing some volunteer work for the NPS. Real tough and waterproof.

MattC...haven't done any yet. My biggest issue is that I live on Long Island and doing weekend trips to the ADKs is tough. I've been running stairs to keep in shape. Hopefully the knees hold out.

Thanks A-Bob...will let you know when I plan to start. You got me planing the first trip already. I'm thinking maybe April. Still snow on the ground then? Could be, right?

Thanks Jay H and VS for the info/replies! I like details on my maps, especially contour lines. If only the USGS published a waterproof version of their 7.5 minute series.

Thanks all!

Also pick up Barbara McMartin's herdpath map for the unmarked 46ers. They sell it at the Mountaineer in Keene. Some things have changed since her map was published, a really good source for anything ADK46 related is the collective wisdom of the good folks over at www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums.

Last edited:
So ADK88...I should get the Map Pack, right? The Nat. Geo / Trails Illustrated ones? I know Trails Illustrated makes a nice product. I used their maps years ago while doing some volunteer work for the NPS. Real tough and waterproof.

The maps pack would be great if you wanted to do more than simply the 46 (which I would highly recommend, why only focus on one 1392 acres when you have 598608 other acres to choose from as well). If you're only planning on the 46, the Lake Placid/High Peaks map would be enough.

Edit: P.S. Yes, there will almost definitely be snow on the ground still in April. Maybe not in the lower elevations or at the trail head, but for sure in the higher elevations. I did Big Slide mid-April last year, and we had over 3 feet of snow near the summit in places.

Last edited:
I think I'll get them all. I do a good bit of paddling in the ADKs so it would be nice to have them.

That CD Rom looks good but I already have the Nat. Geo. program for the NorthEast...which is really good as well...USGS maps.

Getting psyched! (sp?)

I have the Barbara McMartin map, as una_dogger says, its good for the herdpaths, at least a rough idea anyway. The thing I have with the McMartin is it's really hard to read as it's in very fine print, it's also in meters so you have to convert things to feet or change your readings to meters...

Jay

If I skimmed over something else saying this, I apoligize. The lastest version of the ADK High Peaks map (& book) has a dotted line on many of the "trail less" peaks as the 46'ers are looking to focus the impact on a single 'path' .

This is what I've been using & by trade I'm not a bushwhacker but I've found my way up Allen, Redfield, Street & Nye, Esther & Marshall since 2006. None of these I'd have classified as hard to find. A couple of spots on Redfield I had to look closely for a sign if the path left the brook or stayed in the brook. Harder to follow than blazes but no wandering around the woods either.

...[EDIT]... Your experience and fitness gained in the Catskills will help a great deal.

But is the inverse (converse?) true -- will my experience and fitness gained in the ADKs help when I go for the Catskill 35? ;)

Just realized that I haven't hiked in the Cats since I lost my digital camera somewhere near the summit of Rusk two years ago, even though I climb at the Gunks and drive through them every time I go up to the ADKs.

Might have to think about doing some day trips there...

Thanks A-Bob...will let you know when I plan to start. You got me planing the first trip already. I'm thinking maybe April. Still snow on the ground then? Could be, right?
Thanks all!

Yep--This was April 7th 2007 on the way to Marcy:D

But is the inverse (converse?) true -- will my experience and fitness gained in the ADKs help when I go for the Catskill 35? ;)

It might. ;)

Seriously though, while the Catskills High Peaks are smaller and for the most part much less remote mountains than the Adirondack High Peaks, I would say that they are actually more challenging in at least one respect-orienteering on the trailless peaks. Just speaking from my own experience, I used map and compass a great deal during my first round of the 35 and a fair amount in subsequent rounds. During my round of the 46 I think I used my compass twice-once in the Santanoni Range, once in the Seward Range, both times just to briefly check something. I found the Adirondack herd paths very easy to follow for the most part, if somewhat (to say the least) difficult to travel upon at times.

This is simply to make the point for Indian Chris that if you've experience orienteering the truly trailless peaks of the Catskill 35, then finding your way to the summits of the Adirondack 46 shouldn't present a huge problem. Making it to those summits on the other hand, can be a challenge. Many path sections are eroded, muddy, rugged, steep, slabby, scratchy, etc. Fun!
And then there's the longggg approaches to some of the peaks and ranges.

Matt

P.S. Oh, and Adirondack miles are longer. Trust me. On the paved roads, too...

And THIS was the last week in May (last year) on the way to Colden.

52508_Colden_Adirondacks

I got the maps! All but 746. Cool stuff! I was considering Panther and Santinoni as the first two.
Any better suggestions...and why.

Looks like I'll have to research the rules/regs of the high peaks area...the maps show a lot of trails and lean-tos in that area. And of course that brings with it lots o' people. I know there's been talk on VFTT of the impacts.