vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the maps! All but 746. Cool stuff! I was considering Panther and Santinoni as the first two.
Any better suggestions...and why.

Looks like I'll have to research the rules/regs of the high peaks area...the maps show a lot of trails and lean-tos in that area. And of course that brings with it lots o' people. I know there's been talk on VFTT of the impacts.

If you are going to do Sant and Panther you better try and do Couch too. I had to do them in 2 seperate trips but it is beautiful country and very rugged. I do not think many people make them their first 46er peaks though :D

If you ever need a tour guide give me a shout!

Adam speaks the words...Plan it so you can get all of them. If that takes lean-to camping two days its better than returning. Late spring(may 27th or so) of 07' Me and my buddy tried all three.. Took us all day to find couchy. There was no snow at camping altitude but still 3-4 ft up high and no herd path to follow. So check with weather/trail conditions to plan accord. I plan to finish this yr so PM me if interested. It would be great to meet you and have company.

Last edited:
According to who?:D

Andy beat me to it. I agree 100%. While getting all three in one day may be more efficient, I know several people who did these peaks one at a time, and had a blast. Savoring the peaks, unintentionally or not, is not a bad thing! :p Getting all 3 would be great too, but be sure to get back there. Couchie may not be the tallest, but she is one of the nicest places on earth, IMHO.

Andy beat me to it. I agree 100%. While getting all three in one day may be more efficient, I know several people who did these peaks one at a time, and had a blast. Savoring the peaks, unintentionally or not, is not a bad thing! :p Getting all 3 would be great too, but be sure to get back there. Couchie may not be the tallest, but she is one of the nicest places on earth, IMHO.

I really liked Couch too right up until she pulled my feet o ut from underneath me and I banged up my knee pretty bad. This kept me from making Sant. :eek:

Well guys, is it possible that it all depends on what you want to do? Check off a list as your main goal? Or do a list eventually, but have a wonderful and gentle-paced time in the process? :)

Now that the OP has gotten his maps and the topic has done a quantum shift I'll chime in.

There's nothing wrong with having to go back to an area. You'll enjoy it just as much, if not more, the second or third time. I think I've been on Couch 3 or 4 times now and have lost track of how many times I've been in the Sewards or the Dix range.

Heck, I climb Mt. Royal 20 times per week. :eek:

I have loved reading this thread. We finished the NEHH last fall, and we are planning to hit some of those Adironaks this summer.Now I am starting to get excited. Time, and especially MONEY may be an issue with us this summer, since the economy has hit us just like everyone else.
So we are hoping to get the most out of a couple of weeks out there in the Pop-up.
Will be picking brains for ideas about campgrounds and locations to get the most mountains for our $

Speaking of money & the Economy, while watching Mad Money on CNBC last night, Jim Cramer said he's a 46er & has done several in winter. ( I suspect a while back but 63 doesn't keep you out of the mountains) Anyone have any info on this?

JC, I'm sure, is BSing you.

However, on the maps, I'd like to see what's in them before I buy. Can't do that on the web.

I'm not sure if he is Bsing or not. If I polled everyone in my office (insurance professionals) what a 46er was, about 15% of them might know. We even have a decent group, a climber, someone with a place in Minerva, NY, people who have done Franconia Ridge & some CO hiking when they lived out there. Unless you hike or climbe there, knowing what they call peakbagging in the ADK's is not an automatic.

Knowing people consider it more of a prize to do them in winter (most non-hikers think this is crazy) means something too.

Not saying he's still out there but I suspect he's been up a few. NYC money, could be an Au Sable member.....:rolleyes:

Assuming this biography to be correct (see under "trivia" in the article), he did them at age 14. The name "Jim Cramer" is listed on the Adk 46er website roster as #551, beginning on Phelps in 1967 and ending on Nye in 1969.

This last post got me curious, I did most of my 1st round of 46 in the summers of 67-69 at Camp Mohican, a YMCA camp on the east shore of Lake George. I looked at the roster and altho Cramer apparently hiked with some other group, there were about a 1/2 dozen finishers from my camp listed in those years, and 2 who I hiked with on their last peak (on separate hikes).
The camp emphasized hiking the 46 among other outdoor adventures and produced dozens of finishers. There was some kind of competition w/ nearby camps (Camp Arcady was one) for most 46ers produced so any new camper who embraced this type of hiking was made to feel very welcome. I established my hiking roots here. Unfortunately the camp shut down after the summer of 69, and I still had yet to do the Sewards, Santinonis and Allen. Altho I kept peak bagging in the Daks it took 14 years for me to collect those 7 peaks. Thanks for stirring up these fond memories. John Nye 1902W

Last edited: