5 Mile mtn-Tongue Mtn Range-2/8/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Date Hiked - 2/8/09
From Rt 9N -Northern trailhead in Hague
To 5 mile mtn
Back -Same route back.

Equipment needed: Snowshoes

Conditions- Fresh snow over a hard crust.

Comments:
On the way to VT, Maria and I hiked to 5 Mile mt and to the Tongue mtn Leanto from the northern trailhead on Rt 9N in the town of Hague. The trailhead was unplowed (although it had been plowed previously to about 12" of new snow) so we simply parked on the southbound shoulder of Rt 9N. Trail was about 4-5" of fresh powder over a hard crust, perhaps some previously broken trail but it was so nice and smooth, you couldn't tell. Noticed a bunch of folks signed in to do Deer Leep but somebody a few weeks ago signed to do 5 mile mtn. tongue mtn leanto was nice, somewhat overcast and chilly but not overly cold. route finding was difficult in this section of open woods and the part between Tongue mtn leanto and 5 mile was very vaguely blazed if at all. I think the guidebook mentions cairns that were probably under snow. So I got off on the wrong peak and then at the top of it, could see where 5 mile mtn is and whacked over til I picked up the trail again. I followed the trail on the way back though. Viewpoints over the lake through the trees.