8th annual dinner gathering of Adirondack winter climbers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
8th annual gathering of Winter Adirondack climbers
Saturday, March 26, 2004
Black Bear Restaurant, Lake Placid
Social hour 5-6PM
Dinner 6PM
Cost Per Adult - $17.50 includes tax + gratuity

For the last seven years, there has been a dinner gathering of Adirondack winter hikers. It’s always on the first Saturday after the end of official 46er Winter (which is always 3/21). It’s a way to get together for several warm (deservedly so!) hours of recollecting, storytelling, face stuffing, foible jabbing, plan making, and potential hiking partner meeting. You may even meet the people who go with the names you’ve seen in trail registers, or still remember from the summit canisters. It’s nice to be able to sit and talk at length with fellow hikers without getting cold, breathless, or way behind the rest of the group. You don’t need to have done all 46 in winter to attend, and family is also welcome, if you think it wise to let them meet us.
It's a gathering, not an official meeting, so there's no agenda, business, awards, voting, etc. The only semi-formal part of the evening is when people who have just finished their Winter 46 introduce themselves, and say something about their experience.

RSVP by March 21.​
E-mail:
Mark Lowell [email protected] (Please type "RSVP" in subject line)
Phone:
Peggy (518)523-1341
Mike McLean (Winter Correspondent) 315-262-2564

When RSVPing, please mention where you first heard of this.
You don't have to commit to it right now. Just pencil it in using a thick, black, indelible marker.

Peggy has been very dilligent about contacting and arranging meetings with the new owners and manager of The Black Bear restaurant in Lake Placid. She and the manager have worked out this menu:

5:00PM – 6:00PM – Cash Bar with mixed drinks, LP Pub Beers, House wine selections, and soft drinks Blue Corn Chips with Mango Salsa - Cheese & Crackers
6:00pm Buffet Dinner
Mixed Green House Salad – Red Wine Vinaigrette
Pot Roast of Beef with Root Vegetable and brown gravy
Three Cheese Tortellini with Alfredo sauce
Rolls and Butter
Carrot & Ginger Soup
Turkey Vegetable Soup
Oven Roasted Red Bliss Potato
Fruit Pies
Cookies and Brownies
Coffee, Tea, and fountain drinks included

Cost Per Adult - $17.50
Cost Per Child – $8.80 5 years to 12 years
Under 5 No Charge
Cost includes a 15% Service Charge.

The restaurant requires a final count of attendees on Monday March 21, 2005, so please let us know before then or early that day.
There are probably quite a few people who would be interested in this who may not see the notices on this web site or ADK Forum. So please mention it to people you have hiked with this winter or will hike with in the next 7 weeks.

Directions to The Black Bear: 157 Main St. Across from the parking lot by the skating arena. If you're coming from Keene or the Loj, it's on the right beyond the skating arena(left) and post office(right), but before you get to Goldberries(also on the right.)
If you have an old name tag or button from a previous 46er meeting or elsewhere, please bring it so we’ll get to know each other easier.

If you have any questions, you may not be the only one, so please post them on this thread for others to see.
==================-================-
A brief history of the gathering:

The first 3 winters, former winter correspondent Wil Desbiens organized it and it was held at High Peaks Base Camp in the Jay/Wilmington area. At HPBC, there were bunks, a tent area, showers, and space to eat and socialize. HPBC closed, and we haven’t found another place in the area with all that. If you know of a place where we can have everything HPBC had, plus really good food, please let me know!
For the last four years we held it at the Black Bear Restaurant in Lake Placid. The buffet has had plenty of very good food. We're hoping the new ownership/management will keep this up.

Last edited:
Reminder, RSVP by 3/21

Hi,
It's getting closer to RSVP time, and I'm going on a canoe trip in the Everglades starting tomorrow. While down there, I could be up to my gaiters in gators, and would not be able to post a reminder.
I won't be back until about the 19th or 20th.

RSVP deadline is early Monday morning

I just found out that I have to call in the final count Monday MORNING, so please RSVP by early that day (3/21). If you think you can make it but you're not sure, just tell me a rough % probability and I'll crank out a final number.
Thanks.