A Bushwhacker's View author.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I am trying to find John Winkler's e-mail address and googling his name hasn't helped. I want to ask him about one of the slides on Marshall which is featured in his book. If you can point me in the right direction please do so by PM or e-mail. Thanks.

Contact the publisher. If Google doesn't return a hit, he probably doesn't want to be contacted at random. I know he doesn't hike any more, just walks along the backcountry roads.

Now, that says something about too much bushwhacking. :eek: :eek: :eek:

ps. As for the Marshall slide, try Googling that. I know there have been a few trip reports posted here and other places about it. It's a long way to the summit from the top of the slide. Kind of like Ermine...

Last edited:
There was a trip report on a few folks that climbed it two winters ago. They said it was very steep, and I think the snow was sloughing off as they ascended it. They just followed one of the streams that they crossed on the way in from upper works. Pick a day to climb it and I'll try my best to make it there.

I was just thinking about (and probably looking at, if it's the same one) that slide last Thursday. Looking at some photos I took from the fire tower on Mount Adams, it looks like it's not on the main bulk of Marshall at all, but on the next peak south in the MacIntyre Range. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't be certain, but I think it may be on that 3600-foot peak. If not, it must be on the 3900-foot one, but that one doesn't look steep enough, going by the contours on my map here.

Winkler wrote about a trip to the slide in an old issue of "Adirondac," if that's any help. I read it one day at With Pipe & Book in Lake Placid. I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea the date of the issue, however.

Two more things about Marshall:

1) It sure looks from the viewpoint (behind the summit sign) that the southern end of the mountain is higher than the area of the viewpoint and the summit sign, and

2) Was I seeing things, or was that Couchsachraga I could make out over there?

Last edited:
Reviewing my photos, it looks like I was mistaken with my opinion above that the slide is on the 3600-foot summit. I'd now say it's on the 3900-foot summit.

http://homepage.mac.com/ramerkh/Hikes/PhotoAlbum15.html

Also, I didn't notice before, but there appear to be two slides there: the short, squat one ("Jeff"?) and a long, slender one ("Mutt," obviously).

Which one did you want to explore?

First, on two occasions, I have had success with the 46r historians office forwarding a letter to "address on record" when I told them why .... but that was when it was an office of one - Grace.

But what you really need to know is that I think he lives in Schenectady.

Sorry, I cannot offer anything additional on the author.
Raymond said:
Two more things about Marshall:

1) It sure looks from the viewpoint (behind the summit sign) that the southern end of the mountain is higher than the area of the viewpoint and the summit sign, and

2) Was I seeing things, or was that Couchsachraga I could make out over there?
Raymond, I used a straight edge on the 1953 15 min. Santanoni Quad. Couchsachraga is directly behind Panther as viewed from Marshall. Since Panther is taller than Marshall, Couchsachraga (and its false summit to the west) would be hidden from view. Your larger image clearly shows Santanoni and Panther (with Henderson in the foreground). The ridgeline to the right of Panther appears to be just the bumpy northern ridge of Panther.

Just checked back with this thread. I spoke with J.W. last night on the phone - he dosn't own a computer. How did I get his number? A friend looked it up in the phone book! :)

He is a very nice person and was genuinely pleased to discuss the Marshall Slide. Nevertheless, I didn't find out anything more than what is written in the book. The picture shows the slide petering out below the subpeak to the ESE (I gather from the book and the phone call) of Marshall at 4200 ft. On the map you can see contour lines veeing upslope. These may or may not be the slide.

One thing JW remembered was that it was very thick and slow getting from the slide to the summit of Marshall. Then they took the wrong herd path and wound up in the pass between M. and Iroquois and didn't get back to there cars until 2:00am. :eek:

I was thinking of exploring this slide as an alternate way of doing M. I've done it via the 2 herd paths and wanted to join in on the festivities surrounding Bubba's completing his 46th peak. The weather will have to be nice as we will probably need visual reco in order to get a bearing from the trail. I will want a very early pre-dawn start from Upper Works.