A new way to waste time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Cutting the lawn can wait another day.

Thanks to 1HappyHiker and MichaelJ for the ideas and tips.

GPS track from a hike, viewed on Google Earth. Old and boring to a lot of folks, but it's new to me. Catnip for a map freak.

Looking west

Pemi-loop-west-view-L.jpg

Bomber view

Pemi-loop-north-view-L.jpg

Garfield Ridge closeup

pemi-loop-garfield-to-L.jpg

Very nice! One thing I like to do is turn off the points and only show the path when making the images. However, if your GPX track has time information (in a Garmin GPS if you "Save Track" on the unit, the timestamps get stripped away), you can use the points with the little time slider that pops up and get a nice look at where you were, when.

Pretty cool guys.
I'm allergic to cats, but been sniffing the nip as well.......Haven't messed around much with Google Earth. It's pretty neat.

My last tracks going up Kings Ravine, over to Madison, up to Adams, down Airline.

madams_06192011.jpg

madams2.jpg

Petch

Last edited:
Good job, guys! And you're soooooo right! This stuff is addictive! Know of any good rehab centers?!:rolleyes::)

You can also get elevation profiles and speed profiles. The latter is not terribly interesting for hiking, but hop on your bicycle and the inverse relationship between speed and grade is very obvious ;) (not that it wasn't while you were riding)

Fullscreen%252520capture%2525203202011%25252081042%252520PM.jpg

Hiking, Mt. Garfield

ge-ski.jpg

Skiing, Waterville Valley

ge-bike.jpg

Cycling, note that you get the elevation profile (pink) and the speed (blue)

Tim