A question for snowboarders

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
My 13 year-old son wants to hike up Mt. Tecumseh using the hiking trails and ride his snowboard down using the Waterville Valley Ski Area trails. (I climbed and skied down Tecumseh in this manner many years ago, so I'm pretty sure this is still allowed- please correct me if I'm wrong.) My son insists that he can hike up Tecumseh wearing his snowboard boots. I'm not so sure. Obviously it would be uncomfortable to hike in downhill ski boots, but what about snowboard boots? Should I let him try, or should Mom make him carry his winter hiking boots just in case? I don't know whether he is pulling my leg about being able to hike in snowboard boots. I should point out that he is already a WMNF 48 finisher and a 4 season hiker. I'm just not sure whether to believe him that he can hike a few miles in snowboard boots. What do you snowboarders here think? I will admit, the boots look pretty comfy and are well-insulated.

I would'nt worry about it. Snow board boots are much like Sorels (if not better support wise) which many have and still hike in. Just make sure the boots will work with his snowshoes and traction devices if applicable. I 've personally and have seen many a boarder boot pack up much worse than the Tecuseh Trail. The added weight of carrying another pair of boots would probably be more of a hinderance than hiking in snowboard boots would present. Sounds like he knows what he's doing. Have Fun.

Snowboard boots are very comfy, much easier to hike in than ski boots. And plenty of folks hike up Tuckerman ravine (a more difficult hike than the Tecumseh trail) in ski boots. The only disadvantage is that he probably won't be able to fit any kind of traction device over the snowboard boots, so he'll have trouble if the trail is icy - but in that case the snowboarding will probably be lousy anyway.

You can also snowboard in regular boots - just tighten the straps beforehand (you may have to cut them). It's not very comfortable, and it changes your balance a little, but it's how I learned to snowboard, before I could afford snowboard boots (got a used snowboard almost free).

Edit: it would be worthwhile for him to call ahead to the ski area to make sure they're OK with this plan. As I recall New Hampshire has a quite broadly written theft-of-services law. The ski area employees I met on my recent hike were very hiker-friendly, even offering me a lift to the trailhead from Parking Lot Yakutsk, but I wasn't carrying a snowboard.

Last edited:
I'm not a snowboarder, but my first question is - step in or strap in?

Good point. If he's got step in with a cleat on the bottom of the boot that could be a traction issue.

I had to wait until he got home from school to give him a call:D. They are, in fact, strap-in boots. They do appear to be the same size as Sorrels, but I'll fit them with his snowshoes and strap on crampons before trying this. So, the consensus seems to be that they will actually be comfortable enough to wear while hiking a few miles?

I'll also check out any trail restrictions with WV before trying this. It wasn't an issue when I did it, but that was about 20 years ago!:eek:

my snowboard boots are more comfortable than hiking boots. i wouldnt want to hike long distances on packed trails as they are very stiff.
he will be fine

If the boots he will be using are broken in nicely to his feet already, the 2+ miles up the Mt. Tecumseh Tr. shouldn't be a problem. Snowboard boots are very comfortable to walk in, very warm, and provide more that enough support for hiking. I don't know what type of snowshoes he's got going, but I know I can strap my MSR Lightening shoes over my Burton boots without issue.

I've hiked up Tux trail once in my snowboard boots and didn't have a problem other than that my feet sweat a lot and my boots were real damp by the time I got to the actual snowboarding. And this isn't a real problem even, just a preference of mine of having dry boots to start. So my second time up I used my regular winter hiking boots until I got to the top of Hillmans Highway before I switched to the snowboard boots.

As for issues with the ski area, I don't think it's a big problem. How could they catch you even? When you get a ticket, all you're paying for really is use of the lift so I don't think it would come under theft of services. They might just be concerned with release of liability issues. I have a buddy on ski patrol there who tells me, "I don't care what it is I catch you doing as long as you apologize." Or something to that effect, just show some respect and you're all set. Not saying all patrollers are like that, but I'm positive respect is a good start in any situation. Have fun.

When you get a ticket, all you're paying for really is use of the lift so I don't think it would come under theft of services. They might just be concerned with release of liability issues.
The lift ticket also covers the cost of clearing and maintaining the trails, the snowmaking and grooming, the liability, and the patrol.

The operators could choose to give you a free ride, but they also have adequate grounds to prosecute if you use the slopes without buying a ticket. (This could be affected by the terms of the use agreement with the landowners.)

Doug

Snowshoes

I hike quite a bit in my snowboard boots (strap on binding). I'm a size 13 and MSR Evo Ascent snowshoes fit my boots fine. I also have a pair of XL StabilIcers and BD Contact Strap crampons that fit the boots. In any case, traction is not usually an issue for me, because if I need more traction than snowshoes to get up something, the snowboarding is probably not going to be worth it (spring conditions excepted). If I don't need snowshoes, it's probably not going to be good snowboarding either.:D

Snowboard boots are in general quite a bit stiffer than Sorels. For the climb I wear my boots a bit looser than I would at a ski area. I also find poles very handy in the backcountry.

Last winter I hiked the Mt. Tecumseh trail for a "free" run at Waterville Valley. The Sosman Trail was quite a bit softer than the Mt. Tucumseh trail and I was very glad to have snowshoes for the traverse from the summit of Mt. Tecumseh to the top of the ski area.

My experience is that most issues at ski areas arise attempting to climb the ski trails. There's not many ski patrolers checking tickets for boarders heading down the mountain.