A question of parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Ox Hollow, Town of Chichester, in order to access Westkill form the east. Does any of you Catskills mavins know if there is any parking near there?

I have researched this area a few times as it is a location of considerable historical merit. However, I have never explored it first hand. Here is what I know.

According to the NY/NJ maps there appears to be no direct access to the state land in Ox Clove from the hamlet of Chichester on Route 214. However, from what I have read in an entry on the former Ox Clove Wild Forest in this old DEC publication (PDF, do a locate on "Ox Clove"), the locals did regularly enter this part of the Forest Preserve on snowmobiles and ATVs. There is a network of old roads up to what is now the West Kill Wilderness Area. Some of these roads are shown on the USGS topo. I do not know who owns the private land in the lower portion of the clove. Prior to the Great Depression it was the private estate of William O. Schwarzwaelder. In the early 20th century he purchased a large furniture factory in Chichester (originally built by Lemuel and Franklin Chichester in 1863). The Schwarzwaelder estate was known as Tiskilwa Park, and it was a show place that was open to the public for many years. There were also a large number of company owned houses for the factory workers in the lower part of the park. Some of the history of Chichester and Tiskilwa Park are on page 54 of this NYSCSS publication (large PDF). Here are some historical photographs and postcards of the hamlet and park.

According to my county maps the road up Ox Clove is named Park Road. You might contact or stop in at the Hot Stuff Blown Glass Gallery. The owners were mentioned in the NYSCSS document and appear to be knowledgeable on the Tiskilwa Park property. They likely will know if any permission is necessary to hike in and might be able to direct you to a parking spot in the hamlet.

The DEC rangers might also be able to provide some information about access to the property.

Last edited:
Chicester Parking ?

Thanks to Mark...as usual a fount of information.

Anyone interested in the area...It is very interesting and it is obviously visited, mostly by hunters and locals. The Phoenicia library has a collection of old photos and some information about Tiskilwa Park available that shows what this area looked liked before it was ravaged by flood in th eearly 1900's.

I have explored it several times, but I usual walk to Cichester from Phoenicia. Hence the question on parking info.