A short hike and car camping sites in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
A few friends and I are contemplating a meetup in the Whites in a few weekends. Unfortunately, not all of us are experienced with backpacking and have the gear, so I think we're going to be limited to car camping.

Are there any nice forest service operated campgrounds that are accessible by car in the southeastern Whites, and will still be open in late October? We'll probably be headed to the western White Mountains; I'm the Moosilauke or Pemigewasset areas in particular. A quick look at the NG map shows me campgrounds at Wildwood, Russell Pond, and Waterville Valley. Are any of these nice?

Also, a nice short hike would be great. We've got people who'd rather do an easy hike, and we'll probably only have one afternoon to devote to hiking, so something that could be done in about 3 or 4 hours by hikers of average ability would be great. Welch and Dickey aren't options since I did those about 6.5 years ago, and I figure I've done so little in the Whites I'm allowed to be picky and specify that I want to do something new. What would be great would be a nice, easy 2 mile hike into a backcountry lake or pond with great views, or up a small mountain with easy grades to great views.

Thanks in advance... :)

I believe at this point in the year your only option for a USFS campground will be Hancock, which is a much better location for Moosilauke or Pemi area access than the sites you mention.

Hancock has both individual park-at sites which are somewhat isolated from each other, and also a large area of walk-in sites along the river. I don't know if those took any damage from Irene, but they're pretty nice and you get the river sound all night.

There's a discussion of Hancock in another thread here lately about short hikes, take a look at it, there are plenty of good ideas in there.

ps - southWESTern.

Last edited:
If you stay at Hancock, Potash and/or Hedgehog or Square Ledge might be good hike options. All will include a nice drive over the Kancamangus Pass, which is a beautiful thing to do this time of year and an exciting ride for those new to the White Mountains.

Here is a link to a report:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35923&highlight=potash

Check your maps east of the Pemi for details.

There are some very nice river sites at Hancock. No showers and only privies, if that's important for your group.

Happy Trails!!

Hancock Campground is bar-belled on the eastern end by Blackberry Crossing. It's on the south side of the Kancamagus Highway, a few (6? don't have my map) miles from the Route 16 terminus. Plowed in the winter, basically suitable (picnic table, fire ring/bbq, pit toilets).

I'd recommend Champney Falls/Chocorua, tho' it's just a bit bigger bite than specified. It is, however, easy and progressive, right up to the end! Very photogenic and pleasant for walking-&-talking.

Good luck!

--Mike.

Campton Campground was gated yesterday

Depending on the level of services you require, Tripoli Road is more like south central not to mention the various free sites which never close

I believe at this point in the year your only option for a USFS campground will be Hancock, which is a much better location for Moosilauke or Pemi area access than the sites you mention.

According to the NG map, Waterville Valley is also open through the winter...

Tripoli road will be closing soon Hancook is probally your best bet for usfs campgrounds. I am pretty sure my friends stayed at country bumpkins last november they are in woodstock. Moosilauke is a very easy 4k with awesome views and mellow trails. Oceola is also very easy to do as well with amazing views of waterville valley. Also there is indian head in franconia notch state park and eagle cliff across from cannon

Note for those not familiar: Tripoli Road campsites, like Gale River Road or Haystack Road, have no amenities at all. No water, no electricity, not even privies.

...eagle cliff across from cannon

....which is a bushwhack to the summit and probably out of the scope of your hiking group. Really, freighttrain? :confused: Perhaps you meant Artist Bluff/Bald Mtn. or Eagle Pass.

I'll second the Hedgehog or Potash recommendations. Both are great hikes.

Also, the East Pond Loop from Tripoli Road would meet your "easy hike into a pond" criteria. Then there's Lonesome Lake which has the view part.

Last edited:
Note for those not familiar: Tripoli Road campsites, like Gale River Road or Haystack Road, have no amenities at all. No water, no electricity, not even privies.
Not true. Triploi Road has had dumpsters and some privies during the pay season, and increased police presence :)

Not true. Triploi Road has had dumpsters and some privies during the pay season, and increased police presence :)

I was just focusing on the coming month for the original poster.

When Tripoli has privies, aren't they just at the caretaker camper at the head of the road?

....which is a bushwhack to the summit and probably out of the scope of your hiking group. Really, freighttrain? :confused: Perhaps you meant Artist Bluff/Blad Mtn. or Eagle Pass.

Thanks for catching that TDawg I meant artist bluff on exit 34 sorry for the bad intel folks:eek:

When Tripoli has privies, aren't they just at the caretaker camper at the head of the road?

There were some further up the road in at least one location this season. And by privy, we're talking "Porta-Potty."