Adams via Valley Way, Upper Bruin, Spur, Amphibrach 11/8/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to choose the peak in NH with the most elevation gain for a day when I was sniffling with a cold. But a gorgeous forecast on the last day before rifle deer season couldn't be ignored, and I figured if I had to wear crampons because of icy trails it might as well be on a peak worthy of them.

Only one other car at Appalachia. Valley Way was essentially bare up to Watson Path, after which there were occasional snow and ice spots. Wearing traction on this sort of stuff before the ground freezes chews up the trail badly, so I used Upper Bruin to get up to Air Line. This was mostly bare with only a couple of steep spots and there were previous tracks which I found surprising on such a little-used trail.

I was hoping that due to sun and wind there would be less ice on Air Line which was true, but there were some patches of snow in the trail groove. There were some old postholes, but due to softer snow or greater weight I made some new ones. They were less than a foot deep, and scattered enough that I wouldn't have worn snowshoes if I had them - just tiring and annoying. The steeper ascents of course were bare.

I met a woman coming down with 2 wooden hiking staffs who said it was much windier at the summit. She was surprised as it was her first real hike - Air Line in November alone!! If something had happened to her there would have been plenty of second-guessing but she was having a much better day than I was.

I have hiked Air Line when it was much colder and windier so I wasn't much worried about weather, but fatigue and my stuffy nose caught up to me. I couldn't really breathe in the higher gusts, so it was take a few steps and rest, take a few steps and rest. A real Denali experience without leaving NH! When I finally reached the summit, I made a quick search for chiseled survey markers but only found the new pin set by Brad Washburn. It wasn't really a good place to hang around, and only a few steps down Lowes Path the wind was notably less than at the top.

Part of the reason for a different down route was the hope that Spur Trail got more sun and would be melted, but that was not the case. Below Thunderstorm Junction there was very little wind, whether it had died down or it was more sheltered I couldn't say. But there were a lot more snowfields and the previous tracks weren't very good about following the path and often led over vegetation. People who take down cairns to build scree walls really need to see how quickly the trail disappears with even a little snow. Even below treeline, the path was almost completely snow-covered as far as Crag Camp. I can't imagine toting snowshoes up here for that relatively little distance but I thought of using crampons to descend the hardpack. Crag Camp has 2 cell phone policies depending on which poster you read - be considerate or banned entirely in the cabin.

The snow suddenly vanished below the cabin, not that there weren't snow patches but the trail was mostly bare. There was essentially no ice but even the possibility made me slow going down all the stone staircases. I have great respect for anyone who would actually carry overnight gear up this trail to the cabin.

The Amphibrach is supposed to be easy to follow at night and it lived up to its billing, but night walking is naturally slower. But I was feeling very tired and often stopped to lie down and rest. I was still wearing most of the gear from the summit and conditions were quite balmy - I could easily have slept there and walked out in the morning had I been willing to walk through prime low-elevation habitat to face the hordes who would be having their first chance in a year to shoot a deer. It took twice as long as I thought to walk out from Crag Camp, and twice as long as usual to drive home after being advised by a police officer who saw me weaving that I should stop to rest more often.

Realistically, that hike was too tough for me that day and I should have gone elsewhere, but I got it done safely by taking my time. There may have been an easier down route but I don't know which it was.

Hi Roy,

Great trip report. That does sound like a tough hike with a cold. That gusty wind is hard enough to breath in without having a stuffed up nose. Really good point about cairns versus walls on the trail. I never thought about it that way and see the point of having high cairns on trails like this.

Thanks for sharing!
Karl