Adirondack Loj Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
Hi I'm planning on a weekend trip to ADK.

May I know is the parking charges at the Loj based on per entry or per day. Can I sleep in my car, if not is there a place near by where I can safely do so.

Thanks!

I believe it's $9/day, or $3/day if you're a member of the ADK.

I quite sure the DEC frowns on sleeping in the lots. For sure though, a lot of people do, on the lamb.

Jay

ADK Loj parking is paid on a per day basis ($9/day for non-members). I believe that it's not OK to sleep in your car because they have a campground there. You may be able to sleep in your car at the South Meadows trailhead which is off of the Loj road and not too far from ADK Loj. I'm sure someone could give you more info about it - I personally have not been to this trailhead.

south meadows

Yes about .5 miles before the loj, theres a left hand turn...there are sites that are first come first serve..Ive been here before..you drive to the end where the trail starts, this is a good spot to just car camp leaving the other spots for people that want to tent.. Enjoy

D'uh!

I've been to south meadow :eek: :eek: . It is a good alternative to the Loj parking. We hiked in from south meadow to the interior outpost directly when we did Phelps and Table Top. Now its all coming back, there is a the beaver pond to navigate across.

Thanks for all the info, really help to refresh my fading memories...

Jay H said:
I quite sure the DEC frowns on sleeping in the lots. For sure though, a lot of people do, on the lamb.

Jay

Sleeping on the lamb is not recommended - especially nights it is scheduled to sleep with the lion.

Please don't sleep in your car at the Loj parking lot - it's private property owned by the Adirondack Mountain Club, and they have a year-round campground there if you want to be near the facilites that they provide. If you don't want to pay for camping, just use the free camping area on Meadows Lane (aka South Meadow Road) as mentioned in this thread. Parking at the end of Meadows Lane and hiking the truck trail to Marcy Dam is also an alternative if you don't want to pay to park, either.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, car camp at off of South Meadows Road while you still can. The road is set to be closed to vehicular traffic some time next year. DEC also plans to eliminate and relocate some of the campsites there.

My son and I took the trail from South Meadow to Marcy Dam last year. I don’t recall any beaver dam, so I’d say it wasn’t much of a problem unless 7summits used the trail more recently than we did.

I believe it took us just under an hour to reach Marcy Dam, and we arrived in time to meet PinPin coming along from Heart Lake.

7summits said:
That's what we did last May, parked at the Meadows Lane and hiked the truck road to Marcy Dam. And somewhere along there we came across this beaver dam.

Thanks all!
The trail goes just below that spot now and the dam is solid for the most part. There is a bridge that you cross with some new beaver activity under it right now. Last Wednesday I came out that way about midnight and I heard a splash so I ran up quick to check it out. When I looked down from the little bridge right below me I saw what was probably the biggest beaver I had ever seen.

I remember that Dam from last year in May, It affected the trail/road, but still very doable!
Of course those Dams can change with the waterlevel and when Beavers move in and out of the area.
WSC