Allen: a reminder it's at this time illegal to cross the bridge over the Hudson!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's any way to get hikers to follow the rules, it's to threaten their entitlement towards a patch. :) :p

Absolutely and furthermore if while "trespassing" what is left of the structure collapses into the river, never mind the climber may shortly pass under the Brooklyn Bridge but it will as well destroy any chance of having a bridge at that location for decades if not ever!

My oh my, I certainly hope the OP isn't in any way reflective of any official 46R policy regarding climbs of Allen. I sincerely hope the 46Rs aren't actually considering an entire route "illegal" simply because a bridge over a babbling brook has been taken out. In days and years gone by, such a fact would have only added to the challenge, adventure and excitement of a tough hike. Roll up your knickers, don a swimsuit, throw some bags over your boots ... whatever it takes. I hope more hikers than not see it my way, but I'm afraid they don't. :confused: :(

What would be an illegal route? The linked article says "Shortly before the bridge a sign directs you towards a very low water crossing."

My oh my, I certainly hope the OP isn't in any way reflective of any official 46R policy regarding climbs of Allen. I sincerely hope the 46Rs aren't actually considering an entire route "illegal" simply because a bridge over a babbling brook has been taken out. In days and years gone by, such a fact would have only added to the challenge, adventure and excitement of a tough hike. Roll up your knickers, don a swimsuit, throw some bags over your boots ... whatever it takes. I hope more hikers than not see it my way, but I'm afraid they don't. :confused: :(

What would be an illegal route? The linked article says "Shortly before the bridge a sign directs you towards a very low water crossing."

Just using the bridge is considered illegal. The bridge is in very bad shape right now, is closed to the public, and therefore is illegal to use. The legal route would be the water crossing mentioned by the website.

And I don't think the 46ers are considering the "entire" route illegal- just the use of the bridge. I don't see any problem with them deciding that a hike "doesn't count" if those involved engage in illegal activity on that hike- especially when it's in regards to state land use regulations. The 46ers strive to promote adherence to those regulations, not defiance of them.

And the bridge is in really, really bad shape. At this point, it's pretty dangerous to use- it's been hoisted up higher over the river to discourage use and prevent further damage, and all of the boards are missing- it's just a set of cables now. Not to mention further use could cause more damage, given the current condition of the bridge.

I don't see any problem with them deciding that a hike "doesn't count" if those involved engage in illegal activity on that hike- especially when it's in regards to state land use regulations. The 46ers strive to promote adherence to those regulations, not defiance of them.
I definitely prefer "Live free or die" ;)

I could be wrong (and often am :) ), but would hazard to guess that the 46Rs posted this information after some heavy rain in the middle of December because a water crossing can be more of a big deal during the winter than during the summer. I would be surprised if the intent was to try to browbeat hikers into seeking alternate routes until the bridge is repaired. The Calamity Brook Route adds a solid 6 miles onto your round-trip distance for Allen (already a long hike ... New Englanders think Owl's Head). Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to keep your boots dry during the summer months.

So let's be clear, because I think the common parlance of "route" is being misused here. It appears to me that there is no "route" that is illegal. There is trespassing on the bridge, which is illegal, but beyond that, the trail itself, the act of making an unbridged crossing, etc., seems to me to be all legitimate.

Let's also keep in mind that the AMC 4K Committee has at least one entire route to a peak that is considered illegitimate for a patch. NH has had its share of damaged-and-closed bridges, we'd potentially be saying the same things if any of those had been on the route to a 4K.

...Let's also keep in mind that the AMC 4K Committee has at least one entire route to a peak that is considered illegitimate for a patch. NH has had its share of damaged-and-closed bridges, we'd potentially be saying the same things if any of those had been on the route to a 4K.
Which route/peak is considered illegal?

Maybe peak above the nubble,even though that is a 100nehh.

Indeed:

"Please do not use the illegally constructed herd path that ascends Peak above the Nubble from the Haystack Road. It is very poorly located and will become severely eroded if it receives any substantial amount of use, causing great damage to the natural qualities of this peak. Hikers who feel compelled to use this route are requested to refrain from applying for official membership in the New England Hundred Highest Club."

Indeed:

"Please do not use the illegally constructed herd path that ascends Peak above the Nubble from the Haystack Road. It is very poorly located and will become severely eroded if it receives any substantial amount of use, causing great damage to the natural qualities of this peak. Hikers who feel compelled to use this route are requested to refrain from applying for official membership in the New England Hundred Highest Club."
Thanks for the info M.J. I have always wandered what the deal was,I assumed it was because it was too easy of a route:D

What is not "proper" is to endanger the bridge by walking on the legally closed bridge just as did the individual on the picture immediately below! The rest of the route to Allen Mt. is completely legal.

405139_10151596501470361_681160360_23778247_223869652_n.jpg

There was another photo that showed ropes or yellow tape or both blocking the bridge, but I don’t remember if the sign said that the trail was closed or the bridge.

The state has shown a real interest in accommodating hikers over the years, so no need to try its patience.

I definitely prefer "Live free or die" ;)

If you climbed the mountain and used the bridge would you publish it in you 46r letter of documentation or would live free and lie?

I think the warning is quite in line with the values the 46rs. While it may seem small having a culture that tolerates illeagle activity would reflect poorly on any organization.

Cross the water where indicated. If the water is too high or not safe come back another day. That's the way hikes in the wilds go sometimes.