"Alone in the Wilderness"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
I just watched an awesome program this morning on channel 11 / public tv. it's was a documentary about a man living alone in the alaskan wilderness. just beautiful. he also wrote a book on the same adventure. the only way to get it via public tv was thru a $120 donation which was a bit steep for me but i did find many sites on the web that had it for sale. the dvd/vhs runs around $21. i know many of you would enjoy it. here's one site so you can see it and the library may have the book also:
http://www.dickproenneke.com/ (the author's site?)

book title: "One Man's Wilderness" $14.95
movie title: "Alone in the Wilderness" 21.95

I have seen this as well. Very informative, inspiring and educational. I was struck by how "matter of fact" he was and his carpentry skills were incredible.

Hey Shadowcat, our local library system does have the book. As a matter of fact, I have the book out on loan now from the Guilderland library. I reserved it via the UHLS catalog system after I saw the program a while ago. It's a great story

If you have a library account you can reserve it online and they notify you when it is back in.

beverly

hey we must live close bec i live right down the road fr the guilderland library. i am actually going there later today and will see if they have another copy of it or reserve it! thanks

It is a quite a show, his skills are remarkable. I hope a lot of folks dont get the idea to go out in the woods and emulate him, otherwise the local hospitals are going to fill up. I have tried some of the techiniques previously and boy they take a lot of work and practice! I did notice that there is a lot of editing that occurred to create the film, it was obviously spliced together over several seasons.

They seem to be showing it every other day lately (Ch. 17 - Schenectady) during their fund-raising drive. That and some John Denver special.

His wood-working skills were amazing - the spoon and bowl he carved out of wood. The bitter winters ... -45 degrees outside but a "balmy" 40 degrees inside the cabin ...

alone

They have been playing that show out here in CO for a week, Ive seen it at least 5 times, IM glad others saw it and enjoyed it as well. Really made me think. I mean 30 yrs up there alone, he was quite a remarkable man. I guess Im an old sentimantal fool, but its a shame he had to come out of the woods and die, out of his element. :(

Help!

Incredibly, this is in heavier PBS rotation than "Black & White: An Evening with Roy Orbison."

If I give them money will they stop showing it?

spencer said:
the hinges he made for the front door were the most incredible thing to me...

LOL... my husband is obsessed with those hinges and the lock he made... we watched the show once through but anytime we flip by when it's on, he has to stop to watch the hinges being made.

-- Ivy