AMC Huts During Offseason

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kltilton

Reaction score
North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trai
I am planning a 3 day running trip in May after my graduation in the Pemi Wilderness and Franconia Ridgeline area. My plan is to stay at Galehead and Greenleaf Huts. What are the huts like when they are open on a caretaker basis? Is there water available at the hut? Cooking utensils and cookware? I would like to try to pack as light as possible seing that I am running. I would like to get an idea if I will have to have someone meet me at the huts w/ supplies. Thanks.

I've stayed in these during caretaker season and yes they do provide cooking utensils, pots, plates etc. I've only stayed in them in winter when we had to get water from the frozen lake (Carter.) I've stopped by Greenleaf in May and they had running water then. Bring your sleeping bag.......I don't think they provide blankets at that time of year.

Both Huts usually open in Mid-May on a caretaker basis.

Last edited:
I've stayed at both of these huts during spring caretaker season. They will have all the cookware and plates/cups/flatware, a hot stove, and water. I believe Jim is correct in that they no longer provide blankets in caretaker season, but you'll want a sleeping bag anyway since it'll be cold up there that time of year.

-dave-

Huts in caretaker season function pretty much like huts in full season except that you cook the food you carry and you clean up and, in some cases, you help haul the water. If there's a big crowd, the caretaker may assign you a slot for kitchen time to disperse the number of people using the stove. Here's Greenleaf the day before full season in June 03. Blanket availability varies with the hut but they're not guaranteed before full season starts. Whether or not you can run trails in May depends on how much snow there is this winter, and there are often mid-May snowstorms in the Whites. I've been at Galehead in late May when snowshoes were necessary to get up N. Twin.