AMC Huts - What Happens If Weather Is Unsafe For Travel?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The official policy that I can locate online is no refunds within 14 days of the scheduled date.

I'm considering some trips next summer that include hut bookings, but I'm wondering what happens if the weather prevents safe travel? If you have a string of 3 or 4 huts booked, do you just lose all your money if it's unsafe to travel above treeline and you fall off your itinerary? Does anybody know how they handle this?

My gut tells me you'd be out of luck but as others said, calling AMC and talking to someone is probably your best bet. I haven't booked a hut stay in a while but in the past I've found their booking staff very helpful when I've communicated with them. If the weather is preventing you from getting from Madison Springs to Lakes of the Clouds, for example, they may be understanding of that situation.

I think it depends on how severe the weather is. I was once scheduled to go into Zealand in winter on a record setting cold weekend. The AMC called ME and said not to come, and they would give me a credit I could use in the future...