Annual Visit to NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I returned to NH last week for my annual visit with the goal of chipping away at the peaks I still have remaining on the 52 WAV list. I've been working my way back into hiking shape slowly over the last two years after a serious illness, so this was going to be a real test of strength, stamina, and endurance after just nibbling on a few mid 2Ks the last couple of years. My first goal was Tremont, which I've been talking about climbing for several years but never seemed to get to. The weather was good except for some Canadian wildfire haze, so I decided to tackle the hardest one first. The last mile of that hike to the summit was a real challenge for me, but I did it and got a nice view of Greens Cliff and Sawyer Pond but not much beyond that. I took my time descending, knowing that a twisted ankle would ruin the rest of the week.

I met my old hiking buddy KMan at his cabin on day 2 and we decided on Potash for that day's hike for 2 reasons. It was one that I didn't have, and he now likes these 4-5 milers with less than 2000 feet of elevation gain. It did not start well as I almost got my feet wet at the Downes Brook crossing on the final step. Held on by a fingernail and saved it. Wildfire haze and overcast left us with compromised views of fuzzy ridges which quickly deteriorated into no view and then light drizzle. We headed down, temporarily lost the blazes coming off the ledges as thunder was heard nearby. Found the entrance to the woods and donned raingear but despite thunder and lightning and light rain, the storm just slid by us to the east. We opted for the fire road exit to avoid a second brook crossing. We saw a dead hawk on the road walk. His body was intact, but his head was gone. Hmm.

On day 3, I talked him into the long drive up to Magalloway. We stopped at Beaver Brook Falls and also at the 45th Parallel sign on 145. Tower Rd had recently been repaired and reopened. We went up and down the Coot Trail as I had read that Bobcat was overgrown and muddy. A short scrambly hike up the old jeep track to the fire tower. You can see Quebec from the top but alas not today. Same conditions with haze and overcast. Other than 5 hours in the car, this was a pretty easy day.

On Saturday, Kman said farewell and returned home for a family gathering. I suspected that popular trails might be crowded so I headed to Dolly Copp Rd and checked out the Horton Center and Pine Mt. This is mainly (75%) a graded gravel road walk with a one mile walk in the woods. It does steeply climb a ledge to reach the summit which has great views and I did have some visibility today. Saw a (live) hawk perched in a tree. On the way back to the cabin, I was astounded at the number of cars at ALL the major trailheads and actually at all of the trailheads that I passed. Appalachia must have had a hundred cars parked on the road outside of the full lot. Crawford Notch was insane especially around the Highland Center. Even Story Land was mobbed. I only saw 7 people on Pine.

My body was holding up fine, so I decided to squeeze in one more hike on Sunday. The forecast said rain moving in around 2pm. I drove down to Sandwich and found the Mead Conservation Center from which the trail to Mt Israel departs. It's a lovely trail, so well-constructed and maintained. Nice rock stairs in a few places and probably the best and most solid and permanent looking water bars you will ever see. A very easy first mile and a moderate second one takes you to the top. Socked in, zero view. Sigh. It was a good week for hiking with moderate temperatures and cloud cover but alas, little or no views x5. I had an early start and I was sure I would be down by 2 pm but the rain started at noon. It was an interesting hike down in a pouring rain and I was happy to have my raingear which I seldom wear on the trail because I won't start a hike in the rain. Successfully negotiated my way down and declared victory.

All in all, a great 5 days with 5 more peaks, 21 miles total and 7,700 feet of elevation. It was a big test for me, and I passed. I can still do it. Maybe not a Presidential Traverse but I am still hiking and still adding peaks. I'm now at 41/52 on the 52 WAV. I was pretty sure that I was in good enough shape to do each hike, but I was most happy with my recovery time and that I could hike every day without needing any rest days. Let's do this again next year! Roger's Ledge, Morgan and Percival, Roberts, Shaw, and others await me. Be seeing you . . .
Happy Trails
Grey J out

A sampling of photos from the 5 days.

Attachments

• Tremont View.jpg
    Tremont View.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 0
  • Passaconaway from Potash.jpg
    Passaconaway from Potash.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Magalloway Fire Tower.jpg
    Magalloway Fire Tower.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawk on Pine Mt.jpg
    Hawk on Pine Mt.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Mt Israel summit.jpg
    Mt Israel summit.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mt Israel summit selfie.JPG
    Mt Israel summit selfie.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
I returned to NH last week for my annual visit with the goal of chipping away at the peaks I still have remaining on the 52 WAV list. I've been working my way back into hiking shape slowly over the last two years after a serious illness, so this was going to be a real test of strength, stamina, and endurance after just nibbling on a few mid 2Ks the last couple of years. My first goal was Tremont, which I've been talking about climbing for several years but never seemed to get to. The weather was good except for some Canadian wildfire haze, so I decided to tackle the hardest one first. The last mile of that hike to the summit was a real challenge for me, but I did it and got a nice view of Greens Cliff and Sawyer Pond but not much beyond that. I took my time descending, knowing that a twisted ankle would ruin the rest of the week.

I met my old hiking buddy KMan at his cabin on day 2 and we decided on Potash for that day's hike for 2 reasons. It was one that I didn't have, and he now likes these 4-5 milers with less than 2000 feet of elevation gain. It did not start well as I almost got my feet wet at the Downes Brook crossing on the final step. Held on by a fingernail and saved it. Wildfire haze and overcast left us with compromised views of fuzzy ridges which quickly deteriorated into no view and then light drizzle. We headed down, temporarily lost the blazes coming off the ledges as thunder was heard nearby. Found the entrance to the woods and donned raingear but despite thunder and lightning and light rain, the storm just slid by us to the east. We opted for the fire road exit to avoid a second brook crossing. We saw a dead hawk on the road walk. His body was intact, but his head was gone. Hmm.

On day 3, I talked him into the long drive up to Magalloway. We stopped at Beaver Brook Falls and also at the 45th Parallel sign on 145. Tower Rd had recently been repaired and reopened. We went up and down the Coot Trail as I had read that Bobcat was overgrown and muddy. A short scrambly hike up the old jeep track to the fire tower. You can see Quebec from the top but alas not today. Same conditions with haze and overcast. Other than 5 hours in the car, this was a pretty easy day.

On Saturday, Kman said farewell and returned home for a family gathering. I suspected that popular trails might be crowded so I headed to Dolly Copp Rd and checked out the Horton Center and Pine Mt. This is mainly (75%) a graded gravel road walk with a one mile walk in the woods. It does steeply climb a ledge to reach the summit which has great views and I did have some visibility today. Saw a (live) hawk perched in a tree. On the way back to the cabin, I was astounded at the number of cars at ALL the major trailheads and actually at all of the trailheads that I passed. Appalachia must have had a hundred cars parked on the road outside of the full lot. Crawford Notch was insane especially around the Highland Center. Even Story Land was mobbed. I only saw 7 people on Pine.

My body was holding up fine, so I decided to squeeze in one more hike on Sunday. The forecast said rain moving in around 2pm. I drove down to Sandwich and found the Mead Conservation Center from which the trail to Mt Israel departs. It's a lovely trail, so well-constructed and maintained. Nice rock stairs in a few places and probably the best and most solid and permanent looking water bars you will ever see. A very easy first mile and a moderate second one takes you to the top. Socked in, zero view. Sigh. It was a good week for hiking with moderate temperatures and cloud cover but alas, little or no views x5. I had an early start and I was sure I would be down by 2 pm but the rain started at noon. It was an interesting hike down in a pouring rain and I was happy to have my raingear which I seldom wear on the trail because I won't start a hike in the rain. Successfully negotiated my way down and declared victory.

All in all, a great 5 days with 5 more peaks, 21 miles total and 7,700 feet of elevation. It was a big test for me, and I passed. I can still do it. Maybe not a Presidential Traverse but I am still hiking and still adding peaks. I'm now at 41/52 on the 52 WAV. I was pretty sure that I was in good enough shape to do each hike, but I was most happy with my recovery time and that I could hike every day without needing any rest days. Let's do this again next year! Roger's Ledge, Morgan and Percival, Roberts, Shaw, and others await me. Be seeing you . . .
Happy Trails
Grey J out
Thanks for posting this! Love the pics. Magalloway and Potash are two of my favorite hikes.

Good that you are back on the trails.

Thanks. We were a little disappointed that we didn't get a view from Magalloway but that's the luck of the draw. I like exploring so the long ride was really a pleasure trip for me. Here's a few more pics that didn't make the first cut.

Attachments

• Beaver Brook Falls Colebrook.jpg
    Beaver Brook Falls Colebrook.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Rock Stairs Mt Israel.jpg
    Rock Stairs Mt Israel.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Steep Ledge on Pine Mt.jpg
    Steep Ledge on Pine Mt.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pinkham Notch.jpg
    Pinkham Notch.jpg