Another sled question???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
I just bought a plastice "expedition" sled at Aubuchon Hardware. I threaded 1/4" climbing rope as directed. I will order a "pack belt" from Campmor to haul it but now I'm wondering if you folks are hauling you sleds with just the rope or if your rope is covered with some hard tubing that would attach to the front of the sled like the expensive pulks.
Is it possible to pull a sled up/down hilly areas using just the rope?
I'm not talking steep here. Only small hilly sections.
The biners seems to be a good idea to attach the rope to the belt.

If you plan to use it a lot, I think you'll find rigid traces will save you a lot of aggravation. rope traces don't steer, don't stop short of your ankles and don't do well on sidehills.

that being said I first tried the rope through the pvc approach and that didn't work so hot. I ditched the rope and just have rigid metal traces now on my 4th generation pulk. I made my traces to be telescoping, but that's not necessary.

I've spent a lot of time with mine (and have gotten great advice along the way) and think I have something almost as good as the expensive store-bought models. The only thing mine is lacking is a comprehensive zip bag built in, although I'm working on designs.

with all the questions about sleds so far this year, I was thinking about putting a small website together devoted to it. If there is a lot of interest, I'll get on it...

spencer

Thank you....it would be great to have a sled sight :D :cool: :D
I know a welder and I will ask him to help me obtain some "traces".

Maddy,like Spencer says,the solid poles will save your ankles from being slammed. I used PVC with a reinforcing crossbar,attached by a rope "hinge".
The pack belt from Campmor isn't really sturdy. Don't clip onto the webbing,it will rip out. I used a caribiner that went around the padding entirely,and clipped short bungies as shock absorbers. Caribiners on the end of the poles allow for good flexibility.
Like all the other home made sleds-a continuous work in progress.

good idea

sleds so far this year, I was thinking about putting a small website together devoted to it. If there is a lot of interest, I'll get on it...
I'd love to see that...it seems this question comes up quite a bit.
Link it to crampon mod for tele boots- that was really good.

That's interesting KayakDan, I'll have to check my campmor hip belt for wear...also have to check out exactly what I've been clipping to...

I use hot water heater drain pipes, suggested by a friend, since I didn't want to bother with asking/paying Home Depot to bend electrical conduit.

I tried PVC and chimney cleaning poles before that. The pipes I like.

I have a friend who pulls a sled with nothing more than a rope she holds at her waist...we both have knotted drag ropes that slow the sleds on the downhills, but with the pipes I rarely use it.

My sled is gonna be redesigned this year as well...one of the things I'd love to add is a snap on cover. Not cause I need it or anything, but just because that's what one does with a gear sled...modifies it constantly! :D

Twigeater,I noticed in the other thread that the Campmor belt works fine for you. You also mentioned carrying a daypack on the sled. The problem I have had with the belt may be due to the fact that we carry overnight gear,and often there are 2 full packs on the sled.

I think my next sled modification will be a cappachino maker! :D

I'm not sure I understand your post, but I am hauling overnight gear (that's why I'm using a sled)...and strap my daypack on top of my gear...

I have in the past lugged my full backpack and hauled my sled filled with wood - I solved that problem by hooking my sled to my pack. I only do that for trips that are a few miles, as I don't like having my sled hooked to my pack.

twigeater,I just misunderstood your mention of a daypack. I didn't know you had full overnight gear also. I figured a daypack would be a lot less weight than I was pulling.

Bob said:
I'd love to see that...it seems this question comes up quite a bit.
Link it to crampon mod for tele boots- that was really good.

I took the crampon pics down b/c they weren't getting much traffic as far as I could tell. I'll try to put something together for both.

Don't be afraid to buy conduit at Home Depot and then borrow their pipe benders for a couple of 90-degree bends. They thoughtfully hang their pipe benders right near the electrical conduit :D Do your measurements and calculations at home first.

spencer

Regarding pipe bending. Both Lowe's and Home Depot have had no problem with me bending my conduit. All they said is that once the pipe is bent, I own it (it's real cheap though). Note: you will need to buy 2 pieces. One piece cut in half is not long enough. Also: bend the "stub" end longer than you need it and cut to length when in place. You have plenty to work with, so take advantage of it.

Sledding Trip

What with all the early talk of sled, I think we need to plan a winter camping trip using sleds. Then, not only would we be having a great time in the woods, but we could all sit around in the evening reviewing the pro/cons of each sled design.

Or at the very least bring all our sleds to the Winter Gathering like an auto show. :D

If you do the site, Spencer, I'll take photos and details of my sled and contribute a little writeup. It'll take me some time (I'm running about 2-3 days behind in my life right now, never mind side projects), but I'll do it...