Any catskills area road cyclists out there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
While at the gathering 7.0, I picked up the Catskills 100 year anniversary "Lark in the Park" pamphlet and there are a ton of interesting hikes and stuff going on from Oct 2nd to the 11th, including a Century ride on Oct 3rd. lunch provided, starts at the Ashoken HP DEP parking lot at 7:30am on Sunday, Oct 3rd.

Anybody interested? Lunch is provided, route should be steep so climbers rejoice. I need to register before 9/27 so if you're interested, it should be good. Folliage would be in pretty good form by then I think. Colors now are changing a bit at the very upper elevations. The pamphlet does't even mention a fee... T-shirt is provided.

History-wise, I believe they used to run a stage on the tour du pont up platte Cove Road back when there was pro cycling events around.

Jay

Just got back from another weekend in the catskills... The ride today (10/2) was great, it was a perfect day for cycling, mild temps, complete sun, and great scenery. A very nicely organized event, especially one that was the first time and free registration. This was better than some centuries that I paid to do!

Went there friday afterwork and met Funkyfreddy at the free campsites on Peekamoose rd, did a bushwack to Van Wyck on Saturday and then to Table, returning to the camp via the Long Path trail to Peekamoose rd. Rain, very very fortunately, held off during our bushwack but was coming down pretty good as we hiked along the Long Path. Total of about 9 miles and a nice bushwack on open forest. Saw woods roads, old walls, a cave on the south summit of Van Wyck, below the final ledge, saw a great viewpoint and had a good time.

Jay