Anyone Ever Make a Tyvek Jacket?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
While hiking today, I wondered if it would be possible to make a rain jacket out of Tyvek or a similar material. It supposedly is wind proof, but allows water vapor to pass through (breathable). Perhaps it’s not as breathable as GoreTex or its clones.

I made a ground sheet from some Tyvek. To soften it up, I washed it in my clothes washer and it came out as pliable as a stiff nylon material. I haven’t tried stitching it or running it through a sewing machine. It would certainly be an ugly jacket – although I know some who would wear it purely in defiance of the high tech fabrics industry.

Even if it would be too hard to make a real jacket, even a glorified Tyvek poncho may be a cheap, lightweight, and useful item to toss in your pack if you don’t want to cough up the $ for GoreTex.

Has anyone tried this? Just wandering and wondering.

Hey, anything is possible. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd just as soon spend the dough and do something I enjoyed more... Good luck to you. I'll look for you on the trail (and probably chuckle...) :D

Durability

The tyvek coveralls I've seen and used are very flimsy and puncture rather easily - don't know if there is a better version that wears better.

KZ

A long time ago I worked at a garage and received a Tyvek jacket as a giveaway. It was from a car parts company or something. I was a cyclist even back then and thought it would be great for that. The truth is it was like wearing a sauna suit. It would make me sweat even more than I did normally. I think the breathability of the product is more for the amount a house breathes and not a body in exercise mode. It would be more effective as a wind breaker than an active wear garment. I've also worn the Tyvek coveralls in my line of work and they are very hot. In a Hazmat situation you need to change workers every so often because they are wearing Tyvek and overheat while working. It definitely has its place, though,and is very packable.

Some of the cheaper hazmat suits are made out of tyvek. We occasionally (are supposed to) use them at work when we are ripping out insulation or old shingles and vintage linoleum and vinal flooring. Like KZKlimber says, they are very uncomfortable. You might as well make a rain jacket out of garbage bags.

We wear them at work on occasion (over cotton coveralls, with rubber gloves, rubber boots, Tyvek hoods and respirators) and they don't breathe at all. Like JimB wrote, they're like wearing a sauna suit. I once wore one when adding batts of insulation in my attic and it was awful but better than getting fiberglass all over my skin.

Tyvek Jackets Rule!

Seriously, I love my Tyvek clothing and I find that it works fantastic. I discovered this type of disposable clothing a few years ago, and its all I carry for wind/rain protection on 3 season backpacks now.

It is extremly light, somewhat breathable, and unbelievably cheap. What I do is buy a pair of the pants and a pair of the full coveralls. The full coveralls are the only ones that I can find that have a hood. I simply cut the legs off of the coveralls and I have a pull-over hooded jacked with zipper.

Let me also mention that I am a sweat-er... and I have NEVER found any rain jacket that breaths enough for me to stay dry. However, the Tyvek I have found to breath sufficiently that I am not soaked.

Also, I have found that this thin jacket is REALLY REALLY warm. On some of the coldest, rainy days this guy can keep me toasty. The only time I had signifigant leakage inside the jacket was when I got caught in a hailstorm in Colorado. I found that water was getting in throught the seams.

And the best part? When you tear it or it gets dirty or strethed out... just toss it away.

Here are some links:

http://www.qcsupply.com/StoreFront/detail.aspx?ID=37332
http://www.qcsupply.com/StoreFront/detail.aspx?ID=37328

I have no affiliation with QCSupply other than that is where I buy my stuff from. Convert to Tyvek!!

-Chomp

OK Chomp...you just sold me on these and I'm just about ready to place an order, I just have one question; do the seams leak big time or do you seal them???? (I can't really tell from the site but it looks like there aren't a whole lot of seams on these. )

WOW...this will probably cut my raingear weight in half!!!!!
Thanks!!!!

XL will even probably cover me AND my pack!!!! ;)

I found that the seams don't leak much when the jacket is new, but they do leak more as the jacket gets worn out and stretches out a bit. I had thought about seam-sealing, but keeping every drop of water off of me just isn't an issue. And I am lazy. Let me know how it goes, tho!

-Chomp