Sierras Worst Nightmare!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was insane up there, especially on Saturday. And not just crowds - the winds up high were very strong (60-80MPH) and it was cold. The lady that got hurt on Franconia Ridge must have been frozen having waited on the ridge for hours to be rescued.

I actually planned to traverse from Lincoln Woods to Skookumchuck, but after getting blown over 2x just on the short exposed section of Flume, I decided to bail out down Falling Waters. I was shocked when I got to Little Haystack and saw multiple dozens of hikers out on the ridge. (I still bailed out.)

It was insane up there, especially on Saturday. And not just crowds - the winds up high were very strong (60-80MPH) and it was cold. The lady that got hurt on Franconia Ridge must have been frozen having waited on the ridge for hours to be rescued.

I actually planned to traverse from Lincoln Woods to Skookumchuck, but after getting blown over 2x just on the short exposed section of Flume, I decided to bail out down Falling Waters. I was shocked when I got to Little Haystack and saw multiple dozens of hikers out on the ridge. (I still bailed out.)
A few years ago I did the Ridge (up Falling Waters, down Greenleaf) purposely on a crappy early March day (temps 20's to low 30's, 20-30 mph sustained winds with higher gusts, and rain/sleet/fog) to test my gear and general preparedness for such things should I ever find myself in that scenario unexpectedly. I saw a minimum of 50 people that day including a new Winter hiker who kind of latched on to me on the way up that I finally convinced at tree line that he was in over his head and should turn around. I don't think there is ever a time now, no matter what the weather is doing, that you won't find people on the Ridge and most won't be properly equipped for the situation.

I came up thru the notch yesterday afternoon with wet snow rain etc. and artist bluff had still alot of people. Blessed to be living here.