Appalachian Trail - photo event

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
The Mrs. and I volunteered to be hiker/photographers for an event that will take place on May 30, called "A Day on the Applachian Trail".

We are responsible for hiking and photographing on a 10-mile section of the AT that begins in Mass. (Notch Road) and ends in Vermont (Mill Road). If you're familiar with this section, I could advice as to what features to look for and which end of that section I should hike in from; I won't be able to cover the full 10 miles.

We could also use tips on a place to stay; motel, cabin, etc. (no camping this time).

"Scamp" still needs some volunteers for sections that aren't covered yet. You can check it out at http://demo.atphotoproject.com/

That's a section that will lend itself to more creative shots. There are pretty views from Pine Cobble & Eph's Lookout right before you get to the state line and a nice beaver pond somehwere around Mill Road -- I can't remember if it's before or after the road crossing though. Some shots of people crossing the state line might be good too if there's anyone out there hiking that day.

If I were you, I would hike in from the Vermont end and try to at least get to Pine Cobble, which would be an eight-mile day.

I'm participating in the photo project too -- I have a section in Connecticut, just north of Falls Village.

- Ivy

I've signed up also. I haven't picked my section yet. There are three still left in Maine and two in NH last I checked. I'll read the guides and decide which I want to do by this weekend.

poison ivy said:
... There are pretty views from Pine Cobble & Eph's Lookout right before you get to the state line
If I were you, I would hike in from the Vermont end and try to at least get to Pine Cobble, which would be an eight-mile day.

- Ivy
A small point: although the Pine Cobble Trail is a popular access route to the LT, it is not per se part of the AT. The AT crosses Route 2 a couple of miles further east of the Pine Cobble trailhead. My map shows Pine Cobbe about a half mile or maybe a bit more off the AT. Most AT thru-hikers would never hike that far off the trail simply for a good view. :)

Pb

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
A small point: although the Pine Cobble Trail is a popular access route to the LT, it is not per se part of the AT. The AT crosses Route 2 a couple of miles further east of the Pine Cobble trailhead. My map shows Pine Cobbe about a half mile or maybe a bit more off the AT. Most AT thru-hikers would never hike that far off the trail simply for a good view. :)

Pb

Hmm.... I normally wouldn't hike that far off for a view either so I'll stand corrected on that one. I have a picture in my AT album labeled view from Pine Cobble but maybe it was actually a picture from Eph's Lookout instead. I'll have to look again at the pictures when I get home.

- Ivy

AlG said:
We are responsible for hiking and photographing on a 10-mile section of the AT that begins in Mass. (Notch Road) and ends in Vermont (Mill Road).
Note that the first road in VT is actually named County Road where you cross it, some idiot incorrectly changed it in the Long Trail Guide and although it has been changed back some people will use wrong names indefinitely. [Non-believers can look at address signs or check at the town office as to what E911 calls it.] The last mile or so to the trailhead is rutted and some people may prefer not to drive it. The AT SB crosses a long plank bridge and soon passes a spur to Seth Warner Shelter (should be legitimate photo-op) and goes to the state line 3 miles away with ups and downs (SL Marker photo?). Have never done the rest but from the map there's a major descent.

Thanks for all the info. I should point out that I have never hiked on the A.T., and barely know how to get to the town I want to start in, much less find the trail or any of the places that have been mentioned. And I still need a place to stay for a night or two in northeast Massachusetts, near the A.T.

I've signed up or the Cloud Pond Lean-to - Logging Road (KIW) section in Maine. I'm trying to figure out who is doing the adjacent sections so we can perhaps do a car shuttle. Unfortunately, the AT Photo Project Website lists the last name of the hikers for each section, not their user or trail name so it makes it difficult.

So if "Eaton" or "Dow" read this I ("Duffy") want to get in touch with you.

And if anyone else wants to join me on the hike, let me know.

Hey I'm doin the rt 16 to Mt Madison section. I would love to see if we can meet up whith the person coming from Washington "Paul II" if your out there get in touch. Thanks and "see you on the A.T. Boots:D