Are there any upcoming - VFTT Gatherings in New Hampshire?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's in charge?

Nat and I are looking forward to this gathering. Last year was a blast.

Who took over for Ridgerunner organizing the gathering this year?
Does anybody know the chosen location in the Catskills?

teejay has assumed organizing duties and is investigating Catskill campgrounds that would be suitable for our group. If you have any suggestions, post them! I'm not positive of the dates, probably September 25-26? I'd prefer September 18-19.

Gathering 7.0

The dates for the next "official" gathering, ie. x.0, are September 17-19, 2004. It will be in the Catskills but I don't know where yet. I'll soon be taking a day trip down to scout out the area and hopefully be able to finalize a site.

Those dates sound better to you, Audrey?

teejay

audrey said:
teejay has assumed organizing duties and is investigating Catskill campgrounds that would be suitable for our group. If you have any suggestions, post them! I'm not positive of the dates, probably September 25-26? I'd prefer September 18-19.

Woodland valley is a small state campground, but is near some of the best hiking (Bourghs range).

North Lake Campground is very large. One end of the Escarpment trail starts at the campground. It is a short drive to the Devil's Path.

The gather being after Labor Day makes the changes of getting lots of adjacnt site good.

teejay, that's perfect!

imarchant,
Over the years we've found that a group site removed from the rest is preferable, mostly so that we don't disturb other campers. Come to the next one and you can hear all about silver-buckled Maine cowboys sent to enforce the rules. Some folks last September nearly pulled an all-nighter and still hiked the next day!

I'm planning Slide-Whittenberg-Cornell for one day. Then another short one for sunday before the drive home.

Teejay--I will be down on that friday. I will be driving into the site around 8 pm. Hope I won't be alone.

As for gatherings-- I had a small BBQ at my house last summer, I had a good time (Huge backyard, plenty of tent space for everyone, large bonfire pit, Pool). Maybe I could plan another for this summer.
OR--- have a summer gathering here in the Dax at a small state campsite in North Hudson called Sharp Bridge. It's less than a half hour from the Dix Range and about the same to Keene (AMR--Garden) which is the home of the Great Range.

Good idea? Anyone interested? Which sounds better?

What about NH Gatherings?

Audrey thank you for the suggestion of me planning the next NH Gathering. Since I have not been able to get to one yet I do not feel qualified to plan one. I would be willing to help make some calls and help someone else organize "stuff".

audrey said:
teejay, that's perfect!

imarchant,
Over the years we've found that a group site removed from the rest is preferable, mostly so that we don't disturb other campers. Come to the next one and you can hear all about silver-buckled Maine cowboys sent to enforce the rules. Some folks last September nearly pulled an all-nighter and still hiked the next day!

I have camped at both North Lake and Woodland valley campgrounds. I know the DEC rangers strickly enforce the rules (I.E. quite hrs, campers/site, tents/site, etc.) North Lake has several groups of sites on loop roads. The facilities have been recently upgraded and very nice. I believe there is a two night minimum stay at this campground and may the other state campgrounds.

Woodland Valley has the sites spread out anlong a stream. This site is more rustic. The location is at the base of Wittenberg. I see several people have expressed interest in hiking Wittenbergh-Cornell-Slide. The hike starts at this campground with a 2,400 ft ascent. It is 10 miles to the parking area at Slide. You can also continue and complete a loop back to the campground for a fifteen mile hike. Giant ledge/Panther mtn. can be added as a side trip off of this loop for about another 4 miles.

The trade off is between camping facilities vs. location.

All DEC campgrounds are reserved through: http://www.reserveamerica.com/client/client_ny.jsp
see this site for more details. The other two state campgrounds to consider are Devil's Tombstone and Kenneth Wilson. I don't know much about private campgrounds in the area. I know there is one on the road to Woodland Valley. I private campground migght be a good option for a noisy group.

How many people attend these events? Sounds like fun, I am interested in attending.

The other two state campgrounds to consider are Devil's Tombstone and Kenneth Wilson.

I think the Devil's Tombstone campground is closed after Labor Day weekend.

Just a thought off the top of the head: There is a campsite area on State Land up Peakamoose Rd. I think Warren stayed there 2 weeks ago. Perhaps he can let us know what is there? This is not a "Campground" per se, but a legal camping area where you can drive in and setup a tent or pop-up. No reservations required, as far as I know. I've driven past it many times, but do you think I ever stopped to look it over?
I know it's popular with hunters who don't mind camping. But then again, maybe this doesn't fit the profile you're looking for. I've never been to one of these things, so I'm just trying to be helpful.
Tom

In peekamoose Valley there are 3 "car camping" areas just off the road- these sites are marked as primitive camping on the ADK Catskills map. There is a group area, a field that's marked for group camping. The sign says to contact the Ranger for a permit.

There are no facilities here, except perhaps a privy though the site I was at did not have one. I'll try and check out the sites in more detail this weekend.