Are you a knowledge-aholic?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Iinspired by the gearaholic thread I was wondering what sort of knowledge people try to acquire.
The cool thing about hiking is that there are so many overlapping fields.

Meteorology, fitness and physiology, botany, geology, nutrition, cartography, map and compass, gps,computer mapping, ornithology etc. etc.

What area interests you in particular? How did you acquire your kowledge? What books did you read?

Hi my name is Pucka nd I am a knowledge-aholic.

I have spent grocery money on books. One time I stayed at the Mountain Wanderer until closing time. I don't know what happened next but I woke up surrounded by books and bookmarks. I was thirsty for more knowledge even though I had a headache. I hide books in my bottom draw and while at work I sneek reading sessions when nobody is looking. My supervisor and my wife suspect something because there is no end to the useless knowledge that flows from me. "How do yo know that?" She asks. What can I say? Everyone from the Northeast knows this. Its a thin excuse. I don't think she is fooled.

It all started out innocent enough. I got an Audubon guide for New England. It wasn't enough. They anly had three or four pages on geology, the meterology section was just a tease. The bird pictures were to small. Now it is just out of hand. I am just barely able to pay off my tab at Amazon.com. The Mountain Wanderer sold some of the books I was reading...

I need help.

I used to be... but then I met DougPaul obviating all need to know anything - because he knows EVERYTHING! Seriously, before meeting him I doubted he was a real person. I thought he was some sort of Googley master computer (Hal from 2001 space odyessy). But sure sure enough he's a real live, even nice, regular guy. But, he does know EVERYTHING! :eek:

Neil said:
Meteorology, fitness and physiology, botany, geology, nutrition, cartography, map and compass, gps,computer mapping, ornithology etc. etc.
Why yes! I'm an expert in all those areas, plus astronomy, software, beer brewing, etc., etc., etc.... :D :D :D I even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

But seriously, I guess I'm a generalist. I like all forms of science, some more than others. I read a lot and read this BB a lot, (and post a lot, duh!). Just don't bring up politics! :eek:

Knowledge is overrated :D

signed,
Fat, dumb and HAPPY, {39 years and counting...........}

:D :D :D

Lately, I've been most interested in reading historical perspectives. Fascinating stuff that many might find boring.

percious said:
I am GUILTY. Right now I am in my "devouring books about mountaineering" phase. I am running out of library's.
Et tu, Percious ;)

I like technical books about rock/ice climbing, kayaking, mountaineering, wilderness survival.
I like guides.
I like outdoor non-fiction stories and history.
I like reading magazines about things I enjoy - but more for gear reviews and tech tips.
I like reading this website and always learning more and more about a variety of topics.
I like taking courses from professionals when dwelving into a new hobby - I like the feeling of knowing that I have a reputable solid base to start with.
I like learning from friends.

Gris said:
I used to be... but then I met DougPaul obviating all need to know anything - because he knows EVERYTHING! Seriously, before meeting him I doubted he was a real person. I thought he was some sort of Googley master computer (Hal from 2001 space odyessy). But sure sure enough he's a real live, even nice, regular guy. But, he does know EVERYTHING! :eek:
Warning: DougPaul might just be a robot that passes the Turning test. But he may not know...

Doug

percious said:
Right now I am in my "devouring books about mountaineering" phase.

Hey, no copying! :D

Not only do I like to know stuff, but I like to know it all. In fact, I've been called a know-it-all, although I don't think it was meant as a compliment... :rolleyes: darn!

Please don't make DougPaul

self conscious and thus limit his future posts.
DougPaul, Bob Kittredge, Arghman and Waumbek have interests that really appeal to me and I benefit from their knowledge. I really look forward to their posts, along with those of many other posters.
And, yes, I like to read just about everything about the Whites and the south Taconics.

Those of you who think you know it all are annoying to those of us who do :D

Geography, yes
maps - yes (MAP are my initials)
Botany, no
english, spelling & typing (dew I evan half two answer) :D

Of course it's better to have knowledge & no gear than the other way around.... :rolleyes:

"M5 thinks, Captain!"

Oh GOD do I love to read. I have a wall in my room with bookshelves slowly growing in mass every year!

My Current kick is White Mountains Lore/History. Got finished reading Bob Pikes "Spiked Boots" little more than a week ago. Getting ready to move on to Passaconaways Realm after Im finished reading my current book on another of my favorite topics.....WWII. I am a huge fan of military history, WWII in particular, but in general any era an American put a uniform on to fight ;) .

I do not read my guide books like I do normal books, per-se. But I have been known to sit for hours reading trail descriptions and squinting over maps :D . I also have the pre-requisit Bird and Tree guides.... two of each in fact!

The internet is also another great place for information, though sometimes you have to be suspicious of certain things.

Brian

NewHampshire said:
Oh GOD do I love to read. I have a wall in my room with bookshelves slowly growing in mass every year!

My Current kick is White Mountains Lore/History. Got finished reading Bob Pikes "Spiked Boots" little more than a week ago. Getting ready to move on to Passaconaways Realm after Im finished reading my current book on another of my favorite topics...I do not read my guide books like I do normal books, per-se. The internet is also another great place for information, though sometimes you have to be suspicious of certain things.

Brian

I have a shelf of books dedicated to White Mountain history. Passaconway's Realm is a favorite of mine, for it describes the area before the rise of the hotels and the era of botanists and explorers.
Particular topics of reading are of history or historical fiction. I do read books that have a provocative message, such as Uncle Tom's Cabin and classic novels.