Are You a SlackPacker?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
After spending the day hiking the trails do you prefer a night spent in a real bed? well if so, then there's is now a category for you: a "slackpacker"! Yup, according to this page i tore out of a recent magazine (don't recall which one) "slackpackers" are wilderness enthusiasts more apt to forgo the beaten path then many day hikers, but are also less likely to backpack in the boonies to set up camp overnight.
i don't think too many of you guys fit this definition but thought it was interesting. they even have their own web site: www.slackpacker.com
which by the way, if you go to and connect to nys link you will see that views got voted their "site of the month" that's not too shabby! http://www.geocities.com/adkexp/

I have most often heard the term "slackpacker" in connection with AT thru-hikers who leave their heavy backpacks at a hostel for the day. They get shuttled to a trailhead and are able to put in a big mile day with a really light load back to the hostel (or return shuttle) to spend the night.

- Ivy

Slackpacker also refers to long-distance hikers that with take a day (or several) away from their backpacks and get shuttles. Its similar, but in the case of the AT, slackpacking can be a nice way to get a few miles in and still have a relaxing day. For example, when I stayed in Andover, ME - I wanted to take another day in town to relax, but also wanted to get some miles in. For a few bucks, I got shuttled to the trailhead, hiked 10 miles, and then got picked up and brought back to the hostel.

However, more and more, the term for that kind of slackpacking is now "Freedom Hiking". This kind of hiking is a lot more pratical on a long-distance type trail in a non-remote area than in a large wilderness area, for example.

When I lived by the trail in PA, I helped Thru-hikers a couple of times by taking their packs on some weekend mornings and meeting up with them near another road crossing in the evening to hand them back off - What they called slackpacking. It allowed the Thru-hikers to pick up big miles with just a couple of water bottles, as Chomp states, and then backpack a couple of miles to a shelter or campsite, and allowed me to have an excuse ready for my wife to go out and do my own dayhike :)

right definition

I belive the term was used out of context. The previous posters before defined the term quite right in there reference to through hiking. Hiking without overnight gear is simply "dayhiking" which I do 98 percent of the time. Quite frankly, I did alot of backpacking years ago and now love getting to my truck at the end of the day. Although I will pack in for more remote peaks as a nessesity.

I thought slackpackers were backpackers that hike in and set up a base camp from which they day hike to various locations in that area.

I do this at times when going out for several days. I carry all my gear for the 3 nights, set up base a camp tent when I am in deep enough. I day hike to off trail peaks with whatever I may need for that day's hike plus emergency gear incase I have to spend a night away from my basecamp.

Now to find out what slackpacker is by definition redefines my slackpacking a bit, doesn't it.

I've got to admit

I am a slackpacker now (not before). I just don't get out enough. Now I prefer to hike to a cabin (Crag Camp, Gray Knob, Jim Liberty, and lean-to's ect). I solo hike 95% of the time. I can't share the wieght with anyone else so I prefer not to have to take a tent. All of those cabins are not big miles into the woods either. I like to leave my pack at the cabin or lean-to and peak unpacked!