Article on the guy who cut his hand off

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that, Brian, even though it's, as you say, not particularly informative. I ran into that fellow, quite by accident, at Whitney Portal, a few months after his accident. Just the usual hiker "Hi, how you doing" after a long hike. I didn't recognize him at first, but one of the gals I was with did. And, for whatever reason, I thought about him a few days ago, wondering if he was still doing his own thing.

I wonder what really drives him.

I'm confused why the Times bothered with that article.

Probably a lot to do with this quote from the article: "Corporations paid him $15,000 to $37,000 for motivational speeches."

Maybe it's time for more bookings. Hire a good PR agent and your story can be told, too, though there is certainly a human interest in this story. Not all advertising appears as advertising.

NY Times: "All the News that Fits."

Media in general: "Who needs truth if it's dull?"

Ralston was an idiot. He went on a solo hike without a first aid kit, without a decent knife, without leaving a trip itinerary with anyone, without telling anyone that he was hiking, much less when or where. Granted, he did a good job with what he had, and the boulder would have fallen on him regardless of what he had in his pack. However, he might not have needed to cut his arm off if he had a partner with him or some way of letting someone know that he was stuck.

Offering a contrary opinion to some of those above, I found the Times article interesting. In the accompanying video Ralston describes why he sought thrills before "the accident" (as he calls it) changed his mind: "It was the experience of risk for self-fulfillment." That's a comment worth thinking about, because perhaps most of us here can probably relate to it at least to some degree. What are the wider circles of responsibility when we take risks for our own personal, selfish reasons?

Yes, he was stupid to wander into that Utah canyon ill-prepared, but he seems to have thought long and hard, and is still thinking long and hard, about the full implications and meaning of his choices both going into the canyon and coming out of it. I admire his willingness to examine himself in full.

Ralston was an idiot. He went on a solo hike without a first aid kit, without a decent knife, without leaving a trip itinerary with anyone, without telling anyone that he was hiking, much less when or where.

I've done (most of) this many times...and will do so many more times. Admittedly, I'm an idiot, but I was a little surprised to see your brilliant description of a hiker/climber you've never met.

Heading into the hills, or a slot canyon, or wherever...without telling mommy and daddy where you're going...doesn't make you an idiot. Nor does leaving the Bowie knife at home.

Somebody once said that Safety is in the eye of the beholder. Granted, he's also an idiot, but...

Jason

Old news

wasn't there a thread here long time ago re this? anyway, if you read his own book, the guy was nuts and had MANY narrow escapes due to his own lack of care. i esp recall the time he almost killed one of his best friends (avalanche sit) who then promptly had nothing to do with him after that...

I guess it depends on what you want out of the experience. As long as Ralston isn't unhappy about his missing hand, and doesn't want me to pay for it, I'm fine with what he did. On the other hand (!), if you want to avoid an injury like this, you're better off if you tell someone where you are going. Telling someone where you are going does not mean you are childish ("mommy..."), it's just a choice. (You can also choose not to, and that doesn't make you extra macho.)

Telling someone where you are going does not mean you are childish ("mommy..."), it's just a choice...

"Mommy" was more in reference to the name-caller being 18 years old, than any thought that leaving an itinerary is childish. If anything, I imagine that it's mostly older folks (with husband/wife and kids?) that take these precautions. But perhaps my choice of words was less than stellar.

My point is/was simply that calling someone an idiot on a public forum (or even in private, I suppose), for taking actions that you believe are irresponsible...well, it's childish.

Jason

Ralston was an idiot. He went on a solo hike without a first aid kit, without a decent knife, without leaving a trip itinerary with anyone, without telling anyone that he was hiking, much less when or where. Granted, he did a good job with what he had, and the boulder would have fallen on him regardless of what he had in his pack. However, he might not have needed to cut his arm off if he had a partner with him or some way of letting someone know that he was stuck.

dude - you just read the AMC guide to hiking mt willey - didn't you? :p:eek::p

if he was an idiot, he wouldn't have soloed all the CO 14'ers in winter. As many know. To each their own... you climb, you canyon, etc... there is risk.

dukie happens...

Not an idiot, probably foolish, but not necessarily a fool. Let he who is without fault cast the first stone. I guarantee there are people who think all of us are idiots for leaving the "safety" of "civilization".

The real test of whether he's an idiot is whether he learned from his experience.

It's an incredible story of the will to survive. I wouldn't have taken his risks but if I ended up in a tough situation I hope I have his grit. Accidents happen and the strong survive. That's the story and meaning I take home.

It's probably the best thing that could've ever happened to him. Without the "accident" he'd probably have died an unceremonious death alone somewhere or become another school bus driver in Boulder reminiscing about "the day".

Welcome to the boards................:eek:

I guarantee there are people who think all of us are idiots for leaving the "safety" of "civilization".

The real test of whether he's an idiot is whether he learned from his experience.

I agree...people here at work think I'm an absolutly crazy for hiking in the whites during the winter...and we in no way do half of the hiking that I read on this forum.

I think it is a matter of KNOWING what the potential consequences are for ANY action that you take (whether hiking in the Whites in winter, smoking, overeating, drinking, being a couch potato, etc.) and then being responsible for yourself for any outcomes.

it is what it is

it is what it is
we all make decisions (good and bad) that we have to deal with and live with!
good for him for profiting from it!

I have hiked solo numerous times and will do so again if the opportunity presents itself. But, I do leave info with a loved one and an ETA so I am just half an idiot . . . :D

I read his book and found it interesting. He took LOTS of risks in his life and though I do believe this particular incident was an unavoidable accident, I don't think a disaster of this sort was far from reality for a man who took as many risks as he did. The greater and more frequent one's risks, the higher the likely hood of eventual disaster. Each of us has to weigh the pros and cons of the risks we take and determine for ourselves what is appropriate. I found many of his risks "stupid" but that is based on my risk level threshold.

Anyway, I am sure this, like many other threads, could spiral into name calling and judgement but I do think it is important to keep in mind that each of us has a right to our opinion as well as our individual right to a personal risk assessment, that includes the person you (and I) disagree with.

sli74

If you can't call people in here idiots, where can you?:D

A itenerary & someone to call SAR if over due was a big thing, especially in the slots, this is different than walking the woods in NH. (I'm in the "he's an idiot camp so I've moved on & won't read any new info on him)

If I recall correctly, He waited three days before cutting his hand off & thought his knife was too feeble to do anything to the rock. How much would you have had to remove from the rock (boulder of cliff) to sqeeze a bloodly hand out from underneath the boulder, a few millimeters a day. If people had been looking for him, he'd probably be able to clap.

ferrisjrf, giggy, & Hobbitling:

He admitted that he was an idiot in the article. He ignored basic precautions that he normally took and went into the canyon underprepared. Doing that, along with not grouping up with the other people he saw on the trails and not leaving an ETA with someone, certainly looks like idiocy to me. So, I'll call him an idiot for acting like one.

I've done (and will most assuredly continue to do) idiotic things. However, I try to limit it to areas of my life that are unlikely to get me killed or maimed i.e. driving, climbing or mountaineering, drugs, "lifestyle choices", picking fights with big ugly guys at bars...etc.

I am impressed with Ralston's willpower and determination, just not some of his choices. He did an admirable job of getting out of a bad situation, but it was also his own fault that he got in that situation to begin with. Ferrisjrf, I'm not suggesting he should have brought a bowie knife (there's a funny quote about this in FOTH) and stolen a trauma kit out of an ambulance, just that a decent knife and a small first aid kit. And when you mention it, mommy would be a great person to leave a hike plan with, because she'd actually follow through and make sure we got back safely and she'd be on the phone if we missed the hard deck time and didn't contact her.

Also, I love your brilliant description of a hiker you've never met. ;)

Hobbitling, I know stuff happens, that's all the more reason to take 5 minutes to do a bit of "just in case" preparations.

giggy, Ralston is an accomplished mountaineer, but that doesn't mean he always used his head. Also, I don't get the mt. Willey reference. What's in the AMC guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.