Ashley Hill Trail-Mount Frissel-CT/MA/NY Tristate Marker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
Well, I thought about doing a longer over nighter, but ended up doing this as a dayhike since I was done and back to the car by 1pm. I thought about going back up to Alander (Been there before) and doubling back to make time and miles, but thought against it.

I got to the Mount Washington State Park HQ by 830am, Saturday October 1, signed in, threw the pack on, and was on the trail by 845am. Nice quiet morning, bright blue sky already. I went up to the intersection of the Alander Mtn & Ashley Hill (AH) trails, took a left and headed south.

The trail there is very well defined, it appears to be an old woods road, easy to follow. Past the privy it started to get a bit more tricky in sections, but nothing to be too nervous about, usually after a few meters, the wood road would appear again. There was quite a bit of blow down on the trail as well, some new, some older. The new stuff probably came down in the recent high winds and rain that we had the past week.

At the intersection that the AH trail headed south, and another trail headed west to the South Taconic Trail, the trail got funky. Infact on the return just before the junction, I got turned around due to the lack of blazes and because the trail was not very definate.

Heading south to the border it was pretty uneventful. Beautiful weather, light sun coming through the trees, it was a bit cool. There were a few areas of blow downs that were a bit of a nuisance, not really a hassle. The trail for the most part was pretty distinct, altough some of the sections that went through some washes and drainage areas made for a little confusion.

Arrived at the MA/NY border marker within two hours. Got to the red blazed trail a second later. I met a group from Canyon Ranch doing a day hike out to Brace.

Took a left, headed east, came upon the tristate marker very quickly, proceeded east up to Frissell. Came across the infamous 'Green Stake' next to the rock pile. Hung out, had a snack, hiked back out.

The way back I noticed that trail blazes were needed more, since I had just hiked it, it was not too bad, but once the leaves come down, for those who have never been on it before, it could be tricky.

Once I was back on the Alander Mountain I finally saw a few folks, very quiet otherwise. Was back at the car by 1pm, and down at the Depot Deli in Copake Falls snacking on an ice cream sandwich by 130...

It is nice that this park does not get the crowds it should... Makes for a real gem in the woods. My father and I had hiked here two summers ago out to Alander, and I remember how quiet it was for such a beautiful place. If you do want crowds, just head back over to Bashbish Falls, by 1pm, the lots were getting full.

Note... I mention the blazes so much because there were really missing. Some places had the little blue plastic triangles, some places had very worn out blue paint blazes, some places had some very worn out blue writing in some locations.

Also many of the signs were broken, unreadable, but I did notice a lot of newer signs going up, so I am sure they are replacing as time and $$ allow.

Also, the camping areas along the Ashley Hill Trail near the privy are off limits to camping. The park has signs up along the trails and at the trailhead stating this. No reason as to why, no dates either. They require you to camp at sites along the Alander Mountain trail as an alternative location.