Asking about trips out side the NE

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
Is it ok to ask about and for companions for a potnetial trip out side of the NE on this forum ?
I have been thinking about a trip to Gannett peak and Freemont Peak in the Wind Rivers of WY . They are usualy either a two day back pack or a very long 16 - 3 20 miles carrying full mountaneering gear. Meaning ice axe helmet, crampons ect . This is just to get to the mountain. I would be most interested in the Titcomb lake approach .
I usually head out to Colorado every June to do some late season snow climbs on 14,000 ft peaks . Usually in the Elks. I would not mind meeting up with some one for a few climbs . I am very familair with that area. lots of great hiking and spectacular scenary . Elbert and La PLata are also near the general area and are not at all difficult. Only catch is a very early morning start to avoid afternoon Thunderstoms . Once again feel free to send a PM

Last edited:
RGF1 - I did a 10 day backpack thru the Winds 2 summers ago. We crossed both Haley and Washakie (sp?) passes on our trek, but I don't recall trail names presently. I do remember the worst mosquitoes I've ever encountered (made the black flies of the Whites seem laughable comparitively) and some amazing fishing though. :) If you'd like (or if it would prove helpful) I can get my maps out and see if we were anywhere close to your plans. I've also a few trail guides that may have some helpful suggestions, even though you're familiar with the area.

I'm terrifically envious, as I really loved the area. It was an amazing drive in, as well. We came up from Denver, and I remember the mtns just seeming to rise from the plains - a very special place IMHO. Let me know if I can be of any help!

Trips to locations outside the North East are indeed posted here, just not as frequently as local trips. Especially if you are from here and going somewhere where there is some likelihood that others might want to join you.

A recent thread about a trip to the North Cascades (Ranier, etc.) is a good example.

Post away!

Pb

Thanks Papa Bear, I would really enjoy any maps . I am thinking about next year for Gannett . This year I am headed Back to CO for some hiking and climbing In the Elks. Some where around June 14 - 21 . If some one is intersted in a few hikes send a PM .
If you are taking a trip book now before rising fuel prices send the cost skyrocketing.