Austrian woman climber conquers K2...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Just finished "No Way Down" a couple of days ago ... story of the 2008 "disaster" on K2.

As always, the outspoken Reinhold Messner had his own thoughts on her style in finishing all 14 8K meter peaks:

"What I did at Mt Everest was alpinism. What Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner did at Mt Everest is tourism." :rolleyes:

Nice. Just finished "No Way Down" a couple of days ago ... story of the 2008 "disaster" on K2.

As always, the outspoken Reinhold Messner had his own thoughts on her style in finishing all 14 8K meter peaks:

"What I did at Mt Everest was alpinism. What Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner did at Mt Everest is tourism." :rolleyes:

It's not poor Reinhold's fault. I heard he lost a few brains cells climbing all those HIGH PEAKS in the death zone with no oxygen. We have to cut him some slack!
He really should not be so cranked up about her success. I believe she used oxygen so it's really like apples and oranges. He can keep him moment of fame!
;););)
(I did enjoy his books quite a lot but this is great news!:cool: Hope she writes about he expedition.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed a bunch of Messner's books as well, but all accomplishments aside, he does bear a striking resemblance to a grumpy old man at this point.

FWIW, Kaltenbrunner doesn't use artificial oxygen. From the story:

"Reinhold Messner became the first man to climb the 14 peaks over 8000m, all of which are in the Himalayas, in 1986. The race to become the first woman appeared to have been won by a South Korean, Oh Eun-Sun, last year but her claim has since been disputed.

The race to match Mr Messner's feat is generally now thought to have been won by Ms Pasaban. However, Ms Kaltenbrunner, unlike her two rivals, does not use artificial oxygen."

However, Ms Kaltenbrunner, unlike her two rivals, does not use artificial oxygen."

Sorry I missed that part. I read this the other day on the web. Climbing K2 is a huge accomplishment.

The dang thing has been "conquered" so many times there must not be much left.

Ive read alot of books on the high peaks (8000meters), climbing K2 is not easy regardless of what has been done on the mountain in the past. K2 can and will kill you faster then Everest could ever dream of killing you. This girls got some skills and determination, good for her.

Sierra, my post was not to imply that K2 is easy - it was to mock the idea of a human being having the capability to inflict any kind of damage on, or in any way dominate, an immense pile of rock and ice that towers into the sky.

( to be clear, I am not criticizing Jay, but the author of the original article, who is just being lazy by incorporating this shopworn "conquer" theme)

I also have read a number of books about climbing the 8Ks--K2 is difficult and dangerous. It has no easy route up. Unlike Everest, it is generally done without bottled oxygen.

One does not conquer a peak like K2--it is more a case of it lets you climb it if it is in a good mood.

Doug

To reiterate, from the original posted article:

"It has taken 13 years, six abortive attempts and the death of three fellow climbers, but when Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner stepped onto the summit of K2 this week she finally became the only woman to have climbed all 14 of the world's 8000m mountains without bottled oxygen."

I think that's pretty freaking awesome!!!

:)

Sierra, my post was not to imply that K2 is easy - it was to mock the idea of a human being having the capability to inflict any kind of damage on, or in any way dominate, an immense pile of rock and ice that towers into the sky.

( to be clear, I am not criticizing Jay, but the author of the original article, who is just being lazy by incorporating this shopworn "conquer" theme)

Touche'.............

"Conquering" mountains

“We do not conquer mountains, nor tame the elements. The true conquest lies in penetrating those barriers of self-imposed limitations within our minds.”

S. Woods