Avalanche Kills 3 Hikers in Scotland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there, climbed that.

I've climbed the "Big Shepherd of Etive" twice, but only in the summer. I have a video I took in 2000 of a seventy six year old "fells runner" taken coming down the Buchialle and across really rough ground. dr_wu has seen it. Ain't ya bud?

Winter hiking and climbing in Scotland is especially hazardous due to the quick ocean borne storms, dense ice fogs, and steep cliffs that abound. Of course that's where many world famous mountaineers and ice climbers cut their teeth over the years.

Cairns and trail markings are eschewed over there because they mar the natural landscape. You had better know how to read map and compass if you find yourself caught out in a blinding whiteout.

Imagine yourself on the Devil's Ridge "Sgurr A Mhaim" under those conditions. This picture was taken in August. Notice the snow patches remaining from the winter.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1303935749063988367crSrrO

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Hillwalker and Dr. D. The landscape looks fantastic, nice pictures Hillwalker, I can just picture William Wallace running across that ridge.

I dug a little deeper and found that Scotland has 8 4k footers, news to me! I knew about Ben Nevis but I guess I didn't realize the extent of the highlands. Cheers.

Four Thousand footers VS Munroes

People have asked me many times over the past ten years why I enjoy hiking in Scotland so much. Well it's the Munroes.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munros

Although peaks just over 3000 feet seem tame by even our New England standards one must remember that many of these 3000 footers have a base at or just above sea level. In addition to that they are essentially all above treeline.

The Bridle Path Trailhead is at approximately 2100 feet and the summit of Lafayette is 5249. This gives Lafayette a 3249 rise above the valley. Many of the 280 or so Munroes are a lot fiercer looking than Lafayette.

This coming May will be my 6th or 7th time over to Western Scotland. Part of my itinerary:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/fisherfield_frame.htm

"Munro-baggin"

This is great!

So, I guess this begs the question, how far along are you to being a "Munroist"? Quite the list.

No prominence specifications for the Munros but 500 feet prominence is required for Corbetts and Grahams.

So many names for hills, hiking in the UK is confusing! :D

Not to stray from the location but in keeping with the "avalanche" theme...has anyone heard of multiple deaths at Tucks this year? I'm sitting in the lobby at Polard Brook in Lincoln getting ready to head out skiing and was talking to the young girl behind the desk who lives in Bethlehem. She said there was multiple ("20-23") people who have died a few weeks ago due to avalanches their.

Now if I missed any previous postings I apologize. If not...is any of this remotely true? I ask because we were heading up there next week and I would rather not take the chance of leaving my son fatherless! :eek:

Not to stray from the location but in keeping with the "avalanche" theme...has anyone heard of multiple deaths at Tucks this year?
Nothing on tuckerman.org, and I'd expect them to have it.

Not to stray from the location but in keeping with the "avalanche" theme...has anyone heard of multiple deaths at Tucks this year? I'm sitting in the lobby at Polard Brook in Lincoln getting ready to head out skiing and was talking to the young girl behind the desk who lives in Bethlehem. She said there was multiple ("20-23") people who have died a few weeks ago due to avalanches their.

Now if I missed any previous postings I apologize. If not...is any of this remotely true? I ask because we were heading up there next week and I would rather not take the chance of leaving my son fatherless! :eek:

If you have a tape measure in the house, you'd be advised to check your inseam length . . . on both sides. One of them is now substantially longer than the other. The correct number for avalanche deaths this season at Tuckerman Ravine (with the addition of all other locations in the United States east of Wyoming), is "approximately" 20-23 fewer than you were told.

Munro bagger

Munros... I've got 20 so far, including all the peaks mentioned in this thread. Long way to go, not sure when I'll get back. Glen Coe is one of the most beautiful places in the world and the Claigach Inn, the pub Dr D mentioned, is a world class place to imbibe. My last visit in 2004 I managed to break my leg on a knife edge ridge between Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg, famously known as the CMD arete. The hiking in Scotland is absolutely fantastic. John

Going to Scotland

Munros... I've got 20 so far, including all the peaks mentioned in this thread. Long way to go, not sure when I'll get back. Glen Coe is one of the most beautiful places in the world and the Claigach Inn, the pub Dr D mentioned, is a world class place to imbibe. My last visit in 2004 I managed to break my leg on a knife edge ridge between Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg, famously known as the CMD arete. The hiking in Scotland is absolutely fantastic. John

I'm heading to Scotland for a month or more starting on Cinco de Mayo. My trip was listed as looking for partners on this months Appalachian Trail Conservancy Magazine and has received some possible takers. If anyone would like to see the trip outline (4 pages & Spread Sheet) for this 215+ mile backpack of the Cape Wrath trail (CWT) send me an email or a PM with your e addy. Total trip cost for me will be under $1500 including airfare. So far we are all in our sixties:p