Backpacking the Rocky Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erasncy

Reaction score
Planning for 2-3 weeks of backpacking in the Rocky Mountains during June/July. Looking for hiking partner/s at least the first days, to get me started.

I am not experianced except for a great week in the Scottish highlands, I am from Sweden.

Thankful for all tips such as hiking trails, campsites, equipment etc.

PS I am also looking for bike trails!

try the colorado trail

i've never been out there, but i've heard that the colorado trail is great. it's about 500 miles, so 2-3 weeks won't let you see the whole thing, but it might be worth looking at.

There are lots of opportunities for extend trips in the San Juans (Southwestern Colorado). I'm told its a great place to go if you are looking to bag some 14'ers, but want more extended trips, and more solitude than you are likely to get in the Front range or Sawatch Range.

The San Juans are beautiful, and you'd be able to string together any number of great trails in Colorado. The John Muir trail in California is wonderful.

Regardless of where you go, you might pay attention to the snowpack. They've had tons of snow out west. If you plan on going high, July might find the higher trails and routes more snow-free.

Peakbagr said:
The San Juans are beautiful, and you'd be able to string together any number of great trails in Colorado. The John Muir trail in California is wonderful.

Regardless of where you go, you might pay attention to the snowpack. They've had tons of snow out west. If you plan on going high, July might find the higher trails and routes more snow-free.
Peak bagger is correct Just got a email about the deep snow pack . It has it's advantqages though . It does make climbing some couliors and makes for fast descensts if you are skilled with self arrest using a ice axe. That being said .
The San Juans are very bueatiful
Peak bagger is correct Just got a email about the deep snow pack. It has it's advantages though. It does make climbing some couliors and makes for fast descents if you are skilled with self arrest using a ice axe. That being said.
The San Juans are very beautiful rugged and more remote than other Colorado Ranges. One of the best hikes in that area is Chicago Basin. . If you intend to climb 14,0000 ft peaks in the Needle Mountains you should have basic mountaineering skills. All but 2 or 3 San Juan 14,0000 ft peaks are at least class 3 climbs. Often on loose rotten rock sometimes there is serious exposure. .
One thing you should be aware of is that many of the trailheads are at the end of 4x4 roads so if you do not have a high clearance 4x4 you will either have a longer hike or have to stick to areas that do not require a 4x4 to reach the trail head.
The trails in the Rockies out side of national parks are not as prominently marked as other areas . Often the signs for trail heads are small and ar right at the road or trial he with out ny sign letting you know you are approaching
There are some very nice hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park some are ranger led. The same can be said about both Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs.
One fairly popular hike in the Elk range is to hike a loop over the high passes. Many consider the Elk range to be one of the most exquisitely beautiful places in North America. . Once again the 14, 000 and high 13,000 ft peaks are difficult class 3 – 4 or 5 climbs on semi technical to technical routes that are not marked people die on these mountains every year,. . There is a amazing amount of wild flowers Fravert Basin is a huge alpine basin full of wildflowers marmots, elk, pikas, birds, mule deer and mountain goats. are of all sorts even a rare cougar It is a good long day hike from eithe Aspen / Snomass or Crested Butte
I will be in that general area in late June. . I might be able to offer advice or even a hike .
Regardless of where you go there is spectacular scenery.
The area around Aspen has lots of bike trails as does the area near Sun Valley Idaho .

Colorado

Look for guide books, such as Rocky Mountain National Parl Hiking Trails, or Tour Guide to the Rocky Mountain Wilderness. Also look for the National Forests. (One borders Rocky Mt. Nat.Park) They have hiking trails and are less travelled. For example, North Park Range- Mount Zirkel Wilderness, just west of Steamboat Springs.
The ski resorts often maintain mountain bike trails. Some areas add bike racks to their chairlifts.

It is often a good idea to spend a few days doing day trips from a base camp or town to help you get used to the altitude. Altitude sickness in the first couple of days is not uncommon. Even if one does not become physically ill, shortness of breath, mild headaches, or not having one's usual energy can be common adjustments to altitude.

The mountains out there are beautiful! I've hiked out there several times with friends who used to live in Boulder.
Definitely pick up a guide book.

Since I don't know much about your hiking experience... I just want to warn you about altitude sickness. It definitely put a damper on a couple of our hikes in the Rockies.
Jen

we day hiked the San Juan Wilderness in june 2003, while we were checking out the Telluride Bluegrass Festival (a highly recommended, excellent music festival nestled in a scenic mountain valley)
http://www.bluegrass.com

easily the most scenic hike we've ever been on ... lots of deer and elk walking around, and lots of scenic mountain vistas that blew us away all day

this would make a great acclimization hike when you arrive, whether you bag a 14er or not (there are a few in the area)

check out this interactive map - San Juan is in the SW corner of CO
http://www.14ers.com/14ermap.html

Gerry Roach's book "Colorado's Fourteeners" is an excellent resource for hiking in Colorado: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/104-8897785-0879907

looking through pictures from our june 2003 trip, i remembered hanging out on the field at Telluride Bluegrass Fest, dancing next to a guy with a prosthetic arm ... next day, we picked up the local paper, and there was a picture of him dancing on the front page ... it was Aron Rolston

finally got around to posting pics from our San Juan Wilderness hike in Colorado (June 2003)
http://community.webshots.com/user/armhike

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.