Barnes Field, 7/9 ti 7/11ish.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Just putting this out that I hope to be up in the Whites between July 4thish to the 11th or the 12th with the intent to finish my 115 and NH48. I am hiking Isolation with AJTIV on Monday the 5th then I will be hiking Owl's Head sometime midweek after that.

In that end, I have reserved Barnes field from friday night to monday night to do a Wildcats-Moriah traverse on saturday the 10th with a scheme to finish my 115 on Moosilauke on the 11th.

Since Barnes is supposedly a pretty big place, I have room for anybody who needs a place to crash for that weekend. Heck, if you want to hike, fine with me! We can always use the car spot anyway...

If anybody is interested in a mid-week owl's head hike, let me know. I also hope to bring my bike and do some riding or perhaps hit some of the smaller peaks like chocorua or whatever else meets my fancy.

Jay

Last edited:
Way cool!!! What's your site number?? Barnes Field Gathering!!!!

I'll tell Gary!

-Dr. Wu

I was surprised to find a weekend where you didn't reserve the entire place!

Gary and Friends '10 :D

I have site#5, though I wonder if I should of put that publicly... :)

Jay

Hi Jay, Gail and I would like to hike Mt. Moosilauke with you if you're doing it on July 11.

I'll be playing at the Bethlehem Farmer's Market on July 10th if anyone cares to stop by. :)

Are the pit toilets reservable w/o a $9 surcharge?

Hopefully, I can claim a handicapped one, they have more space.

Jay

Which one, because I have plans to do that too. I guess I can go snorkeling instead, I just have to find my wetsuit.

I think you should find your drysuit, not a wetsuit, a wetsuit isn't and isn't meant to be waterproof.. ;)

Jay

I send Fred another email to get more details. I know where Bethlehem is but how do I know if there aren't multiple farmer's markets there. Hopefully Fred will post and we'll try to make it.

I'll be checking the weather forecasts, if Saturday doesn't appear to be great, I might go dayhike like Moriah and Shelburn Moriah and make saturday's traverse shorter... I have the time!

Jay

Hi Arm, Thanks for asking!

Turns out I'm not playing July 10th in Bethlehem :( They just changed the schedule..... I am playing the Farmer's market in Bethlehem August 7 and 28, Sept 4 and 25, and Oct 2 and 9. It's right across from the Colonial theatre on Rt. 302 .... think it starts around 11am so that kind of interferes w hiking on a nice day! If you're having a slow day or day of rest please stop by! Gail and I will be hiking every Sunday those weekends in the Whites so I'll try to keep everyone posted as to our plans..... also trying to get some other gigs the same weekends on Fri or Sat nights.

Too bad we're not doing Bearly Live this summer.... I have a place we could play at in Maine this August if folks are up for it though...... :)

That stinks, was hoping to catch some tunes after a long day..

Hope you can still make it down though, we are still doing some hiking, including the Wildcats-Moriah traverse for saturday, the 10th.

Jay

Views from the Subaru Dealership..

After being offline for like a week (fingers turning green from disuse) I find myself at Profile Subaru in albany, NH while my subaru waits to be checked out. I seem to have another misfire at least I hope that is just it... But my plans for anybody out there thinking of joining me, is up in the air.

I did Isolation with AJTIV and kids on monday as planned. Tuesday was 40% showers/tstorms so I did a very early start for owl's head. Both summits, took a nap at the new one, never rained, very hot, took a swim at Franconia brook on the way back... Wednesday was a scheduled rest day, so I did Chocorua and the 2 sisters (I decided not to head out to the east ledge since it seemed to be a big drop in elevation and took another nap at the middle sister (the one with the old tower foundation on it). Thursday, because of hearing the impending rain on saturday (likely rain/tstorms) i decided to hedge the traverse and I did Moriah and Shelburne Moriah from the AT/Rattle River trail. Today, I was going to hedge more bets and do the carters from 19 mile brook and then come down the Imp trail and bushwack towards Camp Dodge or if the brook was crossable (I have no idea) bushwack straight back to the parking at 19 mile brook. Obviously, my subaru had other plans.

I noticed the subby was running rough thursday afternoon and this morning, heading out from Cherry Mtn Road, the CEL when on and would alternate from steady to flashing and after 40mph, the car would hesitate as if a misfire was going on so I pulled into Lowes Garage which I found out is not a garage anymore so I had them flatbed me to Profile Subaru where I sit right now on their WiFi...

Been camping off the Greeley Ponds trail for a while. Showerless other than jumping in rivers since monday where I snuck a shower at Joe Dodge Lodge...

then I moved to chery Mtn road for the hikes near Gorham, managing not to pay for lodging the whole time...

I am NOT cancelling my barnes field shindig though I do not know how much hiking I will be up to since I don't think I have a real hope to finish this weekend nor is that really that big an issue, I've had a good week so far and I have some schemes for my finish that Arm has mentioned before that I think will be cool..

I will try to post something later on this afternoon when Profile can tell me what is up with my subaru... In any case, you are all welcome to Barnes#5, just save a spot for my little Walrus tent..

Jay

They seem to know what they are doing.. And I see a lot of subarus in the parking lot :)

They are replacing the spark plugs and going on a test drive. CEL reads cylinders 1,2,4 (1,3 are one side of the Boxer, 2,4 are on the other). misfiring. I and they find it hard to believe all 3 coils/sparks are bad. And I have new coils and spark plugs at 68k and the car now has 91k miles. Spark plugs and 3 coils do not go bad in 24,000 miles... I have just finished lunch that I was hoping to eat on the trail and not at a dealership...

Jay

Quick, does anybody know if I can get cell reception at Barnes field? I am going ahead with picking up a rental car and driving up to Barnes field for tonight.. For subaru to call me, I need to be within cell range. I can probably hang out in Conway and do the tourist thing for now though...

Jay

Latest posts