Bears Doin the Pemi Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the volume of people who do that loop and the bear "hangs" I've seen along the way this isn't much of a surprise. Just hope it doesn't get to the level where the have to start killing bears as a result of this laziness/ignorance.

Based on the volume of people who do that loop and the bear "hangs" I've seen along the way this isn't much of a surprise. Just hope it doesn't get to the level where the have to start killing bears as a result of this laziness/ignorance.
That started long ago. We had our camp raided while camping near the Cedar Brook Junction. Two other camps in the area were raided as well. When we mentioned it to the rangers at Lincoln Woods, they replied "Sounds like Brutus...I think it's time to put him down".

This was 20+ years ago.

That started long ago. We had our camp raided while camping near the Cedar Brook Junction. Two other camps in the area were raided as well. When we mentioned it to the rangers at Lincoln Woods, they replied "Sounds like Brutus...I think it's time to put him down".

This was 20+ years ago.
I was headed in for a night in the Pemi on the Eastside Trail in 2013. I ran into a ranger heading out. He warned me about a problem bear in the Still Water Junction area. He/she was getting into hangs, paying no attention to people trying to scare it off. The ranger said he thought it might be an offspring of Brutus.

Reactions: dug
I was headed in for a night in the Pemi on the Eastside Trail in 2013. I ran into a ranger heading out. He warned me about a problem bear in the Still Water Junction area. He/she was getting into hangs, paying no attention to people trying to scare it off. The ranger said he thought it might be an offspring of Brutus.
Yikes! And, at this point, THAT bear's offspring are now roaming about as well with a love of granola bars and pancake mix....

Maybe he’s doing the Brutus bushwhack!
Funny you say that. Maybe 10 years ago or a little less, a bear was getting into backpacks people were dropping at the bottom of Owls Head slide. I do not remember where I heard/read this could have been here. Rangers were giving people hell for doing this. And rightfully so.

Funny you say that. Maybe 10 years ago or a little less, a bear was getting into backpacks people were dropping at the bottom of Owls Head slide. I do not remember where I heard/read this could have been here. Rangers were giving people hell for doing this. And rightfully so.
Yes, I remember that. I always carried my pack with me to OH.