Best way to Carter Dome?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
I'm planning on a dayhike soon of Carter Dome and Mt Hight starting at Nineteen Mile Brook Trail off Rt 16. Never done it before so was wondering if there was a preferential way to go about it as after 1.9 miles, the trail comes to a junction and you can either stay right on Nineteen Tr towards Carter Notch Hut first and then Carter Dome or you can go left at the junction for the Carter-Dome trail which goes for Zetas Pass and Mt Hight first. I'm just curious of any advantages or disadvantages to heading up either way.

My original thought was to stay right on Nineteen and go Carter Notch first and the hut and the Dome before Hight and back loop down. Any feedback from anyone who has done this loop would be great. Thanks.

Carter Dome

One of my favorite loops is the one you are thinking of. To carter notch hut by 19 mile brook trail, then up to Carter Dome, Mt Hight and down to Zeta Pass.

The classic route is to go up to the hut, up the Carter-Moriah Trail to the Dome, over Mt. Hight, down to Zeta Pass, then back down the Carter Dome Trail to the 19-Mile Brook Trail.

This allows you to take a quick break and stock up on water at the Hut, before making the very steep ascent out of the Notch. Don't worry, it's all in the trees with tight turns, no exposure, just incredibly steep, and only for 1/4 mile. You'll pop out of the trees at one spot with views back into the Notch. About 10 yards further, there will be an "outlook" sign to your right - follow it out for even better views.

From there it's a much more moderate ascent back into the trees until you come out on the Dome, which is a fairly uninteresting summit, having grown up around the edges and with the fire tower long gone. You'll be able to see Mt. Hight from one viewpoint on the Dome. To get to Mt. Hight, stay on Carter-Moriah, do not branch left where the Carter Dome Trail begins.

Mt. Hight has the best views in the entire range, being an open summit. Save time for it, enjoy it. Then drop down its steep ascent until you rejoin the Carter Dome Trail and come to Zeta Pass, a great place to cool off under the greenery on a hot day. From there it's a cakewalk down the long switchbacks and then following the small stream until you come back to the 19 Mile Brook junction. When you get back to the dam, climb down and soak your feet. Or wait until the big flat rock (you'll see it).

Enjoy!!!

awesome. Thanks for the responses. I think the classic way sounds best in hitting the hut first experiencing Carter Notch and then ascending the Dome and then Hight before down by Zetas Pass. Neither I nor my father-in-law have ever hiked any peaks in that range, so I have been getting him excited about the views on Hight since he loves Washington. Hopefully we'll get a nice day for the views over there. Thanks.