Beware Counterfeit Duracell Batteries

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you are on the way to the trailhead and need batteries, you might want to look them over really closely.

I got a 4 pack of AAA duracell batteries 4 months ago from a gas station on 9 between Tivoli and Rhinecliff because I forgot to load up my shot gun microphone before I left home. I looked at the package to make sure they were fresh..shelf life was good until 2014.

So the other day I was inspecting the mic, and found a battery had leaked inside the chamber...I was going to kick myself for leaving the power switch on but it was off... I cleaned the mess out and went to replace the battery from the package I bought.

The remaining, unused batteries had leaked a white gel into the plastic tray of the package. I thought that was kind of unusual, because they were stored on a shelf in a cool basement.

So I looked at the back of the package, and every address and phone number is on the Australian continent. Now either Proctor and Gamble has a massive quality problem, or these are fakes.

Bottom line--- be careful when you get your batteries on the road....they might not last as long as you expect or they may damage your equipment.

For more info-

http://www.google.com/search?q=counterfeit+duracell

Funny this should come up. I was asked to repair a camera that had a battery leak, just so happened to be Duracells. I thought it was strange but just figured the camera was stored in a hot place. I'll have to look more carefully from now on.