Footwear of Hut Crews

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they are generally in trail runners. Perhaps others can chime in, this is just an anecdote:

We hiked up to Galehead (mountain and hut) a couple weeks ago, and I specifically recall pausing at a water crossing to allow a hut croo member to pass, with their load of trash on their way down. I watched them get a foot wet in the water, and saw runners, not boots.

They also still have those wooden external frame packs. I haven't ever tried one on, but they look miserable. I suppose it's tradition, and perhaps a good way to transport their heavy loads.

I can only speak about the RMC crews. Until this year, I hadn’t seen a 3-season RMC (or AMC tent site/shelter) caretaker in anything other than trail runners. This summer RMC had a caretaker who grew up wearing Limmer’s and still wore them. The exception.

On the other hand, I noted that the RMC trail crew that was working on Lowes all had Limmers.

Perhaps when I wear out my Fabianos, I’ll try Limmers next. I should be so lucky to live that long. I’m

I can only speak about the RMC crews. Until this year, I hadn’t seen a 3-season RMC (or AMC tent site/shelter) caretaker in anything other than trail runners. This summer RMC had a caretaker who grew up wearing Limmer’s and still wore them. The exception.

On the other hand, I noted that the RMC trail crew that was working on Lowes all had Limmers.

Perhaps when I wear out my Fabianos, I’ll try Limmers next. I should be so lucky to live that long. I’m
I'm guessing Fabiano's are old? I don't even know what they are.... :D

I didn't either, so I looked them up. They're a brand of alpine hiking boot, full welt. Probably cost about about $400 new. The type of boot you get repaired, not replaced.
Fabiano actually originated out of a shoe repair shop in Boston by an Italian immigrant. Scarpa eventually took them under their hood and sold Fabiano as there High End Line adjacent to the already existing Scarpa line. While working in the Outdoor Industry full time back in the 90’s we sold both brands. Both boots were considered top end when it came to the Norwegian welted boots. Yes they were pricey boasting a price tag between $300-$400 now over 30 years ago. Fabiano was also one of the premiere Tele Boots in the pre plastic boot era filling the need for “stiffer” boots.

Last edited: