Biking up Whiteface Memorial Highway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
What's the deal? Can you cycle up? I heard only after 5:30pm from someone and then I also heard you can't at all. Say it aint so! What about early A.M.?

This would be in the summer months, of course...and other than that race.

Thanks for question!

I have always wondered what the official status of travelling this road is.
I've heard that walking isn't even permitted...that the only time riding is allowed is the Uphill Challenge (bike or run). But I know many who have hiked in daylight hours and know of many midnight riders that use the road frequently in the off-winter season.
Official regs would be greatly appreciated from this Cat too!! :D
Thanks!

I have always wondered what the official status of travelling this road is.
I've heard that walking isn't even permitted...that the only time riding is allowed is the Uphill Challenge (bike or run). But I know many who have hiked in daylight hours and know of many midnight riders that use the road frequently in the off-winter season.
Official regs would be greatly appreciated from this Cat too!! :D
Thanks!
They have information here about driving

http://www.orda.org/newsite/todo/summer/highway.php

But it does not say what you can do outside those hours.

What's the deal? Can you cycle up? I heard only after 5:30pm from someone and then I also heard you can't at all. Say it aint so! What about early A.M.?

This would be in the summer months, of course...and other than that race.

Do they still allow the mountain bikers up the gondola to ride down? Just say you prefer to get up the mtn on your own terms...

Would be interested in this if it is legal!

Jay

I called yesterday and the operator said no, not anytime.

I called again today and a different operator said yes, after daily admission to car traffic ends, around 5pm.

Will continue to persue this issue as I am planning to ride from Long Lake to the top of Whiteface in July.

IndianChris -

While you are pursuing the cycling issue, could you verify that hiking is permitted? I had heard otherwise..... but it sounds like even the operators are not definitive about the policy?? :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!! I also would like to ride up !:D Maybe even a winter ride??!!

Yeah, I'll look into it.

The operator who did say yes didn't really say yes. What she said was, after the toll road closes around 5pm daily, that it wasn't recommended that you ride a bike up. To me that means, ok, go ahead. I verified that with her and she said you can ride...it's just not recommended.

But, yeah...I need to know the deal before I ride 70 miles to get to the toll booth. Wouldn't want to be turned down a few miles from the top.

No, no, no, no, no.
I plan on riding right into the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery to knock off another View 'n Brew ;)
That would be a grand trek though, you're right. If this whole idea of bikes being allowed up after 5pm is true, then riding back would really be tough in the dark...even though some clubs do ride entire centuries during nighttime hours.

How long is the climb from say the intersection with 86? Or one could park at the ASRC...

Jay

Good idea Pete. I called them. Get to that in a minute.

Got an e-mail from a staff member at Whiteface and they said that they no longer allow bike riders on Whiteface Memorial Highway due to the fact that the Police have asked them to do so...emergency reasons - tough to pull someone out apparently if there is an accident. This is what I was told. (Weird because they allow people to walk it, iceNsnow, and ski it. Can't walkers and skiers have accidents? I didn't bring that up in conversation.)

Anyway, the staff member also said that there is really no one at the toll gate after closing to prevent anyone from riding up. Even though the gate is down, he says one could still obtain access to the road like the walkers and skiers do.

The official word is "please don't ride."

So I called HPC as per Pete's suggestion and they said it's illegal...basically just don't get caught...which basically wont happen because when the toll road closes, Whiteface staff goes home.

The last car is allowed to pass through the toll booth on the way up at 4PM.

From 86, the ride is about 8 miles at an average grade of about 10% according to TOPO - and it's looks to be a pretty consistent 10%, not much deviation. Total elevation gain is about 3500 feet.

If anyone else gets any additional information, please pass it along.

Last edited:
Thanks Indian Chris!!

I really appreciate you doing some real legwork and finding out the lowdown on access! Greatly appreciated!:D

Note that a number of things which were officially allowed, but tolerated started getting much more strict enforcement once it was posted someplace on the net that it can be done under certain conditions.

If there is something which is not allowed, but sometimes tolerated, it is not a good idea to post it.

I would do it prior to the official opening of the highway for the year which is listed as May 17. if you arrive at the gate and there is not a No Bikes allowed sign I would pass through. If your stopped, plead ignorance.

I'm not suggesting breaking the law or trespassing.

You can walk, ski, sled and who knows what else when the road is officially closed.

I'm just saying, if the rules are not clear use your own judgement and proceed with care.:eek: