Biking up Whiteface Memorial Highway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree too. Because, like a lot of things in the Adirondacks, I'd like to do it and would rather not have a lot of attention drawn to it so that tighter rules are set. But, keep in mind, people haven't posted on this topic to popularize it. They've posted because they have legitimate questions as to whether it's allowed when the road is closed to vehicles, never allowed regardless, or a gray area. To me the answer is, "it's a gray area, enough said..."

Adirondack Park Loop

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/adirondackparkloop.cfm

I'm considering doing a 3-4 day self-supported tour of the ADKs this upcoming summer. I'm looking at getting a Surly LHT 26" wheels to replace my dead Marin mtb that I used to tour on... this would be a good break-in for it and I haven't gone on a long ride in a while.

This would be a fully-self supported, camping, backpacking kind of tour, not ridgid in the route but I figure I'd use the ACA's map as a base. Can start in the Albany, NY area and ride up to the ADKs... Maybe even do a short peak or two...(snowy mtn firetower seems to be on the route)

Could include Whiteface too. ;)

Jay

...... They've posted because they have legitimate questions as to whether it's allowed when the road is closed to vehicles, never allowed regardless, or a gray area. To me the answer is, "it's a gray area, enough said..."
Sigh.....

And these things get posted, questioned, and more popular, and it moves from the gray area to the NOT ALLOWED.

Net discussion of gray area things has led to a number of not allowed in the area.

Within a year, we'll be seeing a sign there clearly stating that it is not allowed.

What about if this thread gets deleted?:rolleyes:

I don't know... I certainly share the concerns, and maybe I'm being naive, but is the "net" really the problem here? So if this forum didn't exist, or if we never entertained such questions, what's the recourse for the people looking for the answer to their question? Most likely, their only alternative is to contact the entity involved, ask a pointed question, and back them into taking a specific, immediate position that we all think would most likely be unfavorable. So, is that better than us letting them know obliquely that it's best not to rock the boat? I'm just askin'...

A few years ago (back when I was naive :D) I started a thread on walking out from Blake in winter on Upper Ausable Lake.

Someone who read the thread phoned the AMR and asked them the question ourtright.

The "net" result was the immediate posting of brand new signs at the TH forbidding travel on Upper Ausable Lake. Up to then the people resonsable for the AMR would look the other way when they saw the odd hiker crossing the lake. Those days are gone.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Painfully so as I was re-climbing Colvin a few weeks ago to avoid getting caught on the lake! (It was so much simpler 20 years ago when I was young and naive, as opposed to old and naive...)

My only point is that, to use the example you cite - with the increase in popularity of winter hiking, and climbing the 46 in winter in particular, that question was probably going to be pursued at some point with or without that thread. Maybe the internet accelerated that, but who's to know for sure.

My God, am I actually arguing in favor of "don't ask, don't tell"? Time to quit!

And BTW, thanks for the tracks and TR on Haystack - we're headed there tomorrow.

One final note - if you live in the Capital District, ride up Greylock! A public road, no questions asked, and they just finished a two-year repaving project. Like buttah!

And BTW, thanks for the tracks and TR on Haystack - we're headed there tomorrow.
It's going to be an amazing day. (I'm doing Alg-Iro.)
Why don't you do Colvin first, descend to the C-B col and henceforth down to Upper Lake, which is nice and frozen now (nudge,nudge. wink,wink) , and head up Haysatck via the Bartlett Ridge trail?

It's going to be an amazing day. (I'm doing Alg-Iro.)
Why don't you do Colvin first, descend to the C-B col and henceforth down to Upper Lake, which is nice and frozen now (nudge,nudge. wink,wink) , and head up Haysatck via the Bartlett Ridge trail?

Did I mention I was now OLD and naive?

Jay H - Yes, Bascom Lodge opened last spring, nicely renovated, and with better food!

Ahh...multi-use-path.
Yeah, a rails to trails type thing, right? Heard about that when I was in the area. Sounds like a good round-trip.

Yeah, it's somewhat of a newish name for a rail trail, though it's a bit more broader, since semantics kind of indicate that rail-trails were once railroad lines.. a MUP is more broader...

I'm sure you can google it, I forget the name but it runs along the eastern side of greylock, and runs north-southish.

And for more info, Rubel bike maps makes an excellent cycling map for western mass..

Jay