Blood borne pathogen tested?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this as a description for a waterproof rain parka:
Any ideas about what that means?

Nelson Parka, Navy - 2XL

Helly Hansen Size Chart

Features

100% nylon 2-Ply HELLY TECH® fabric
Polyester mesh and taffeta lining
Seam sealed
Draw cord adjustment at waist, hem and hood
Hook and loop fastening cuffs and storm flap
Back mesh vent
Stowable hood
Packs into left hip pocket
Blood Bourne Pathogen Tested

Mike

Blood Bourne Pathogen Tested

It means that if a cow falls out of the sky, and kills you - it will be the weight of the cow is what does you in, not an pathogens in the blood of the cow.

Assuming, of course, you're wearing the Helly Hanson Nelson Parka. If not, all bets are off and you're on your own.

I have no idea what sorts of testing standards exist - I bet Google would find some standards for hazmat suits for bio-safety.

If a garment is even close to waterproof, it should do a pretty good job of stopping pathogens, which are all quite a bit larger than water molecules.

But there's no need to stop most pathogens from touching your skin. Your skin is very resistant to most pathogens. (I say "most" because there are things like athlete's foot fungus that specialize in attacking skin. I can't think of any that would qualify as "blood-borne", though.) Realistically, protect your mouth, and also your nose and eyes, and you don't have to worry much about blood exposure unless you've got badly damaged skin. Just make sure you wash your hands before you rub your eyes or prepare a salad...

Last edited:
http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Protection/en_US/assets/downloads/bloodborne_pathogens.pdf

As pointed out above, if you find yourself in an emergency medical situation where there is the potential for blood contamination, you should protect your nose, eyes, and mouth, and glove up (cracks in the skin on the hands are common, especially during the winter).

Your regular winter gear will protect you adequately in most situations, if worn. In other words, even if not required for the weather conditions, in a bloody situation, put on your gloves, face mask and goggles.

In summer, when you don't usually have these items, if you have any expectation of being involved in a serious first aid situation (like a volunteer on a search crew) you should have a basic first aid kit with at least gloves, safety glasses and a mask. Even if you don't know any first aid, at least you can protect yourself.