boot grease recommendation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
What's your favorite boot grease?

I've used Aqua-Seal for years with good results. This spring, I changed to Limmer boot grease, thinking it must be good if it's from Limmer. It seems to have dried out the leather. It goes on well and works on the trail, but by the next week the leather seems dry.

Happy Trails!

I heard that boot grease because it attracts alot of dirt and what not (being Sticky) it actually can be abbrasive therefore cause excessive wear to leather.I like Aqua Seal but have also had good luck with NikWax. If you try this product make sure you get the correct Nikwax for leather. Nikwax also makes other products for gore and nylons.

First, I usually wear out the boots quickly (1-3 yrs) and don't resole them so I'm not overly concerned about long term preservation. So I use any product without much of a loyalty. I have a tendency to buy different shoe waterproofing when I travel to see what's out there.

I've used snowseal for years and I like the ability to soak in, but the petro ingredient (whatever it is) smells bad and I hear it is detrimental to the boot - causing cracks - if used long term. Some on my boots have cracked so I would not doubt this. I still use it on occasion, like when I get a tub for a good price or as a gift.

I also noticed that just a layer of polish is good conditioning and protecting for a pair of boots if they are not abused and dried out.

The best grease product I used was one I bought in New Zealand. It makes sense that they would have a good waterproofing formula. It is quite hard and tacky. The price was great and I wish I had bought a half dozen tins of the stuff.

Then there was the time I found an old tub of shortening in the cabinet and thought I'd prefer it on my boots than inside me so I mixed it half and half with other dregs of various used tins of stuff. Heated it all up on the stove and mixed it well. That's what I'm using now and it is acceptable.

I have also used Nikwax aquous wax. It's the funkiest thing I had seen in a long time, but I was very impressed with its non greasiness and good performance. I planning to switch to it once I use up the tub of homemixed stuff.

JHS

Last edited:
I use Limmer’s boot grease on my . . . Limmer boots. Works great for me. I also use something called Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP (Leather Preservative) on moccasins and chukka boots (and on the lining inside my Limmers), which works very well at keeping the leather pliable and water resistant. The Obenauf’s definitely has some beeswax in it (you can smell it).

Both are applied generously, rubbed in well with a "dauber" brush at room temperature. Let sit a couple of hours, or overnight. The treated surface feels a mite tacky, even after sitting, and I buff it off with an ordinary shoe brush before wearing my shoes/boots. Buffing reduces the tackiness. Never have had a problem with my footwear attracting what seems like an extraordinary amount of grit when treated with these dressings.

G.

Grumpy said:
I use Limmer’s boot grease on my . . . Limmer boots.
I've used Limmer on my Limmers for years, also, with good results. It's always a good idea to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

skiguy said:
I heard that boot grease because it attracts alot of dirt and what not (being Sticky)
Only once have my sticky Limmers attracted a lot of stuff. This was in Arizona last year when my big black boots turned red from the dust in Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

Steve

Last edited:
John H Swanson said:
I've used snowseal for years and I like the ability to soak in, but the petro ingredient (whatever it is) smells bad and I hear it is detrimental to the boot - causing cracks - if used long term. Some on my boots have cracked so I would not doubt this. I still use it on occasion, like when I get a tub for a good price or as a gift.

JHS

I have used Sno_seal for many years on every boot I own and have never had any problems with it. I still use it now, and waterproofed my boots again with it. Never any cracking or problems.

I'd always heard that Limmers leather is tanned with a different process than most leathers out there. Limmer Boot Grease is formulated for that tanning process, it will damage boots whose leather is tanned in a different way.

The Limmer Boot Grease webpage doesn't mention it, take my speculation with a large grain of salt.

-dave-

I used Sno-seal for years. Works well enough. Doesn't dry out the leather. Remember to **scrub** off the excess wax that doesn't get absorbed into the leather or it attracks dirt and debris like crazy.

Purchased a new pair of Makalus about six weeks ago and used a Nik-wax formulation for the water proofing. Was pleasantly surprised to find that after full days of plodding on soggy glaciers there was zero, or maybe minimal, wetting of the leather. Amazing.

Lawn Sale said:
I have used Sno_seal for many years on every boot I own and have never had any problems with it. I still use it now, and waterproofed my boots again with it. Never any cracking or problems.

I've used Sno Seal for about 30 years, no cracking or dry rot. I think the trick with Sno Seal is how you apply it. I remove the laces and in-sole, pre-heat an oven to 150 and bake the boots for about 5 minutes, apply Sno-Seal generously, return boots to oven and repeat. I repeat about 3 or 4 times, until it's obvious all the Sno-Seal has melted in and been absorbed.

Anyone waterproof trail runners? If so any products used would be greatly appreicated. I've thought of using nikwax product but don't want to waste it just to find out it did nothing to the trail runners? I know it wouildnt be permanent waterproofing, but if it kept light rain and puddle splash form getting the shoes totally drenched..

Any help greatly appreciated.

M

I use Sno Seal as well. I have a pair of Asolos that I love; they are on their 3rd pair of soles and are still in one piece. I find that adding polish after the Sno Seal keeps them looking good. I know, it sounds crazy polishing hiking boots, but these boots have lasted me for years. It seems to work! Just as an FYI... I bought these boots on sale from an REI mail order flyer back in the days beofre they had a web page.

David Metsky said:
I'd always heard that Limmers leather is tanned with a different process than most leathers out there. Limmer Boot Grease is formulated for that tanning process, it will damage boots whose leather is tanned in a different way.

The Limmer Boot Grease webpage doesn't mention it, take my speculation with a large grain of salt.

-dave-

Dave, I take your speculation with a grain of salt. Here's why.

For some years now, Mrs. (Pretty) Grumpy's Vasque (Sundowner) hiking boots have been dressed with Limmer's grease, all to the good with no ill effects that we can see.

Nonetheless, I agree with those who suggest taking seriously the boot manufacturer's recommendation as to what kind of goop to use.

G.

bobmak said:
I use Sno Seal as well. I have a pair of Asolos that I love; they are on their 3rd pair of soles and are still in one piece. .

bobmak, where do you have your Asolos resoled ?

[iQUOTE=Kevin Rooney]Mostly I use Nikwax. Testing by some organizations show their Aqueous product to be tops at waterproofing. It works best when the boot leather is damp, so applying it shortly after a hike or dampening the boots first. It's a bit odd - like painting your boots with milk, but it does soak in

Wetting the leather before applying Nikwax increases the capillary action of the leather therefore increased absorption.

I have also read that the tanning process interacts with the waterproofer. (I can't give any detailed references--I've just moved and my references are buried somewhere in a pile of packing boxes.)

There was a review article in Backpacker Magazine some years ago. IIRC, they liked the Nikwax aqueous products best and gave Sno-seal a medium rating. Perhaps they have a copy of the article online.

I've used Sno-seal for ~30yrs and have been happy with it. I just rub a thin coating on and let the boot sit overnight. It is fully absorbed by morning. IMO, heating it in is not necessary. (Be careful if you heat it in--too much heat can destroy the boot.)

I have a pair of Goretex lined boots and have found them to be too steamy. I was told by an REI salesman that the Sno-seal can clog the pores in the Goretex and one should use the Nikwax aqueous products on Goretex-lined boots.

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
2) Before putting them away for the season, I rinse out the inside of the boots with plain water, and then wipe them out with a towel to help remove salts, and then put them in shoe trees to keep them from curling.

Put away for the season - that's sacrilege! Hiking never ends :D

(ok fine Jan-March in New England assuming you never head west...)

I'll jump into the fray, because I use a product not mentioned yet: Biwell.

"Classic" for non-impregnated leather boots (beeswax based).
"Trekking" for suede and leather/fabric mixed (wax/silcone).

I assume that you can use the Trekking for trailrunners. I use the Classic on my Merrill Wilderness boots, which are 7 years and a summer old and about ready for their second resole.

Another vote for SnoSeal - I've used it for many, many years. It works, and it doesn't hurt the leather as far as I can tell. I kept one pair of boots for almost 20 years through multiple re-solings until they died.

DougPaul said:
...I was told by an REI salesman that the Sno-seal can clog the pores in the Goretex and one should use the Nikwax aqueous products on Goretex-lined boots.

Doug

When I broke down and bought some Asolo GTX's, the salesman told me not to use anything on them. Nominally, the goretex is waterproof, and anything you put on them is liable to clog the pores and reduce breathability. I will add that I'm not a big fan of goretex in boots - breathability through a layer of goretex and a layer of leather is minimal in any conditions...

Oldsmores said:
When I broke down and bought some Asolo GTX's, the salesman told me not to use anything on them. Nominally, the goretex is waterproof, and anything you put on them is liable to clog the pores and reduce breathability. I will add that I'm not a big fan of goretex in boots - breathability through a layer of goretex and a layer of leather is minimal in any conditions...
The problem is that the leather needs protection from water too and therefore one still needs to apply waterproofer to at least the leather portions of the boots.

Agree--I don't like GTX in my boots either.

Chris Townsend has published the theory that a quick drying boot (or sneaker) is more important than waterproofing a boot. (I presume he means for non-winter.)

Doug