Boot Inserts - Worthwhile?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I was browsing around my local hiking boot store recently and noticed that the merchandising space allotted for boot inserts was almost as large as the space deovted to hiking boots.

I'm on my third pair of boots and each of them have been of decent quality, all setting me back over $100-$150 a pair. I have been of the opinion that when I pay that amount for a boot the inserts (that are usually removeable) ought to be at least useable.

One of the inserts I saw cost $50!

I am curious to hear what your experiences have been? Do you buy these things and if so, what advantage do they offer?

Are you talking about orthodics? They can be good for a variety of reasons, like giving additional arch support or simply more cushioning. But if you haven't had any foot trouble with your boots, you don't need them. My feet are fine with my hiking boots, but for running, I use inserts to give both additional arch support and cushioning.

Superfeet

I have tried quite a few inserts including both superfeet and custom orthotics. The advantage of a custom insert is that it gives you much more arch support than the ones in boots. How important that is to you really depends on your feet. I have flat feet, so some level of arch support makes a big difference. Personally, I have found the cheaper Dr. Scholls type products no better than the existing inserts in your shoes. Superfeet, on the other hand, are pretty good. Custom orthotics can be much better in that they are designed for your feet, but really only worth the money if you have pain otherwise etc.

My wife has pretty normal feet, and finds that superfeet are somewhat more comfortable but not dramatically so. That being said she's still finds them worth the $30 for her.

I think the trick is to try them in the store and make a call for yourself.

The stiffer ones - Superfeet, etc. - work really well in floppy trail running shoes, sort of makes them into super trail shoes, which a few brands already are. However, Artex is right. They'd be overkill in bonafide hiking boots. ;)

Couple months ago I went shopping for new boots. After I settled on the pair of Asolo's that wanted, the salesperson "measured" me for a set of insoles. I was hesitant as I had purchased them in the past and found them to be uncomfortable. The mistake I made in the past was that I bought the same size insole as the boot. After being measured (mostly about where the arch is in relation to the heel) I tried a set of size 10 insoles in a size 9 boot - and found the boot to be much more comfortable. FYI - the boot I purchased was a top of the line boot.

I just recently purchased Spenco inserts for my hiking boots after recieving a recommendation from someone else on this site. I have major problems with foot pain while hiking and have found that these insoles provide a good measure of relief. (I hiked 13 miles today with the insoles and found my feet only hurting during the last two miles. Without them, my feet have been hurting after as little as four miles.)

I also tried Superfeet in the past but found they didn't fit my arches quite right and caused additional pain. However, I will be the first to admit that the issue may have been related to me fitting myself for them.

I'd say if your feet don't bother you now, don't bother with the insoles. But if you have foot-related issues, they may be helpful.

- Ivy

I bought a pair of Sole Ultra footbeds just last weekend and fit them in a pair of new hiking boots. Although I haven't hiked with them yet, after molding them to my feet they feel really comfortable and I plan on getting another pair for the shoes I wear to work.

I can't hike without them! I use three inserts. First the factory insert that comes with the boot (LL Bean Leather Cresta). In the middle I use a Vasque insert that I got at Ragged Mountain (under $10), which is a sort of hard gell type, not too floppy. On top I swear by Dr. Shcolls' Double Air Pillows. After the hike, I remove the whole system to air-out, and I rinse the Air Pillows in warm water. After about 5 dayhikes (50-80 miles?) I replace the Air Pillows.

As bobandgeri said, don't trim the inserts too small. Use the factory insert as a template, and trim your inserts to be slightly longer.

Happy Trails! :)

If your feet are comfortable, pain and blister free then I would say you certainly don;t need them. If on the other hand you have a problem your trying to solve they may be worth a try.

The inserts can help with arch support or add cushion. I find the superfeet models can add arch support but are still quite hard so don;t provide much cushion. There are other inserts (running stores are a good source) that provide more cushion.

I happen to hike in Limmers and require a 3/4 length rigid orthotic. Limmers are not the "cushiest" boot so i use a profeet insert to add some cushion in my Standards but none in my lightweights.

If you take out the inserts that come with your boots and compare them to ones sold seperately you will see the difference. Most boots, even high end ones, seem to come with very thin inserts.

A good quality boot should have a good quality in-sole, probably better than the "add-on's" being displayed and sold defacto. I need/use Prescription Orthotics for extremely high arches, Pronation or Supination (I forget which) and some mild osteo-arthritis. These orthotics are for persistent, chronic foot pain and will set you back $200 to $400 a set.
I would remove all the in-soles from your current boot and shoe collection and experiment to find which in-soles are the most comfortable, maybe some combo like suggested above would be enough. But don't buy anything just because they are recommended.

My story

In 2001, I hiked 1/2 of the AT. At the end, my feet were so tender and it took months before they felt normal again. Before starting in 2002, I bought Superfeet, and used them for the other 1/2 of the AT. My feet felt fine, and I was back to running local road races as soon as I got off the trail (and having good times also).

So, I'm a believer. Superfeet work for me.

I had custom inserts made for a pair of ski boots. Almost immediately I became a better skiier, and a happier one too. They were expensive but I was able to go with a lower end boot that fit me better.

I have tried inserts in hiking boots, running shoes, trail shoes, and work boots. They seem to help my feet not get as sore.

I don't have any currently, but I have also gotten a lot better at finding footwear that fits me well, and predicting how it will feel when it is broken in.

I have a friend who did the AT. He swears by them. After I picked him up in Baxter State Park, he threw away his shirt, shorts and hiking shoes, but he kept the foot beds.

I discovered footbeds when I went to a fitter to see why my ski boots were killing me. My high arches needed more support, and it was nothing short of a miracle. I've found the same relief from leg and back pain with off-the-shelf Superfeet. Most of my boots are high-end, since I like the ankle support of a sturdy boot.
Recently I've been using a Spenco, like Ivy does - they're soft and cushy but have a firm arch support. They also prevent my Morton's neuroma from acting up, which the Superfeet didn't always do, especially on long hikes when fatigue starts to set in.
A friend uses a combination of Superfeet and Dr. Scholl's gel inserts.

My Painful Feet Love these:

I have horrible footpain. esp ball of foot / metatarsal pain. i've tried all sorts of footbeds: superfeet, orthodics. i have recommended the SOLE brand which is a heated footbed that forms somewhat to your foot. but by far my favorite are these "gel" inserts. i love them. and they are easy to take care of - you just take 'em out of your boot, wash em off, dry them and you can put them right back in. (they never get smelly!) :eek:

here's the link to them & for the comfort/quality they are a little less costly them some of the others:
http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?productId=57

insoles?

for me it's new balance (performance) insoles.
like walking on soft dirt all the time.
30 bucks
tested on the A.T. they worked great!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Superfeet

I'll throw in my 2 cents for Superfeet. I used the footbeds that came with my boots for years. My plastic boots that I use in the winter kept giving me problems after long hikes and my brother finally convinced me to get some Superfeet inserts and I have not had a problem since. I now also have a pair in my regular hiking boots as well. After a long hike my feet feel much better than they used to.

After years of going stock, I tried Superfeet, IM now convinced they MUST be purchased with any boot.