Boots with crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Well, I saw my first red/orange leaf and have started to think about winter again. I need boots for winter hiking that will be warmer and drier etc. I am probably going to stay away from plastic double boots if I can ($$) and am thinking about Sorel Conquests. Boot Link
Will this type of boot work with any full crampons (Grivels?)? I plan to try some of the easier 4ks this winter and have to watch my wallet.

sapblatt said:
Well, I saw my first red/orange leaf and have started to think about winter again. I need boots for winter hiking that will be warmer and drier etc. I am probably going to stay away from plastic double boots if I can ($$) and am thinking about Sorel Conquests. Boot Link
Will this type of boot work with any full crampons (Grivels?)? I plan to try some of the easier 4ks this winter and have to watch my wallet.
Sorels have a softer sole but will work with strap on crampons (I tried them out once with my Grivel G10's) but be careful not to use them with step in crampons. The sole is not stiff enough. My Merrell Winterras (sp?) were fine with the G10's... never popped out of them once all winter.

-Dr. Wu

I have the conquests, but have yet to put full crampons on them. I know they will not work w/ step in crampons, but should be fine w/ strap ons. Make sure that the crampon is not rigid. The semi rigid ones should be fine.

I have a pair of the Sorel Conquests. I think they are a really nice boot. I have a size 11 and they fit my charlet-moser 10 pointers. I don't know how my crampon compares to the Grivel though.
The Conquest is a lot more rigid than the Sorel pac style boots but it does have a pretty flexible sole (I use my crampons in semi-rigid configuration). I've had no problems keeping my strap-on crampons attached. They attach and hold quite nicely.

~Mike

If $$ is a big concern, which you mentioned, then you might want to consider winter hiking in your regular boots.

I've been doing it for two winters now and except for overnights haven't had any problems. Plus older boots with not much sole left can get a "second life".

All depends on how good your circulation is too.

-Shayne

Don't forget that Grivel sells a "flexible bar" replacement for the OEM bars that comes on the Gxx series crampons, they are supposedly more flexible than the ones that come with them because they consist of thin 'slices' that you can customize (less slices == thinner bar == more flexible)

Jay

Last winter I used a pair of Rocky gore-tex boots with heavy hiking socks. They worked very well and fit great with my Stubai 10 point crampons.
cc

Thank you all for your answers. I feel a lot more confident about going the Sorel route now. BTW - Lahout's (sp?) in Lincoln, NH has them for $81...that is $20 less than Campmor and $29 below retail.

hey boss

unless your gonna being ice climbing at all - I suggest getting a strap on pair with 10 points - 12 points and those with heel bails, etc.. are probably overkill for the majority of ice on the trails in the NE.

this will save you cash - go to hiltons and get them there - they should have the g-10's or moser encrins (I have a pair of encrins I use in early/late season with all rock and junk)

boots - pretty much sure any sturdy leather will take the g-10's or moser encrins

but - I love plastics - no bull with waterproofing - they are comfy if you size them right and I think they are well worth the coin for winter stuff in the NE. Pretty much buy them and they will last years. Hiltons should have koflachs degrees for around 200.

be happy to talk offline if you want.

If you can get a good fit with the Sorels, go for it. If not, try the Columbia Bugaboot types (there are a few). They are warm, sturdy, comfortable, work well with crampons and usually can be found for about the same price. If you end up with either and are looking for crampons, the G10s come in a wide size, which likely will be necessary for either.

Before you totally give up on plastics, check out the used rentals and consignments IME and Ragged Mountain. You might find a bargain. I picked up a lightly used pair last year for $125. A friend found a better pair for $75.