Broadwing Hawk Migration

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a migration observation station on South Pack Monadnock run by NH Audubon. I will check it out today and let you know.

This is the time of year for broadwings...they are the first to come through. There main diet is snakes. so when the weather gets cold they take off. They move through in flocks called kettles. Ona good day after a cold front passes a hawk watch can count hundreds.

Didn't go up S. Pack as I didn't have my wallet and the toll booth was running.

Went up Temple across the street and didn't see any as the prevailing wind was was from the SW. There should be some tomorrow after the cold front passes.

Just found this interesting SITE that shows counts from many areas, including S. Pack and updated yesterday!

Last edited:
The biggest 'hawk' I've ever seen set up housekeeping in a tall pine in my back yard in N NJ during July. The chips and squirells were not pleased. Neither was the neighbor with a small stocked gold fish pond.

Over 3,000 hawks were counted on S. Pack yesterday. I hiked up today and saw 10 or so in 15 minutes.

We watched--and heard--a broadwing's territorial calls through June and July. He chose the tallest white pine next to our field as his perch in the morning and evenings and sounded off. I assume a nest was hidden nearby. The broadwing is gone; the bear is now in charge of said field. A seasonal changing of the guard.