Brunton 8096 bubble-form

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I've beat the snot of my 8096 and I have sent an email to Brunton about their lifetime warantee. Pretty much all the markings on the baseplate have been wiped clean. I may try to fill in the north marker with crayon wax, at least it is etched into the plastic so it may work. Also, it has a pretty decent sized bubble in the mineral oil(?) that it is filled with. Yes, it's still functional but it's a nuisance to try to move the bubble so I can read the compass..

Has anybody ever tried to refill one?? Is it possible?

Has anybody dealt with Brunton before? I've had good luck with them on a set of compact binoculars.

Jay

I've beat the snot of my 8096 and I have sent an email to Brunton about their lifetime warantee. Pretty much all the markings on the baseplate have been wiped clean. I may try to fill in the north marker with crayon wax, at least it is etched into the plastic so it may work. Also, it has a pretty decent sized bubble in the mineral oil(?) that it is filled with. Yes, it's still functional but it's a nuisance to try to move the bubble so I can read the compass..

Has anybody ever tried to refill one?? Is it possible?

Has anybody dealt with Brunton before? I've had good luck with them on a set of compact binoculars.

Jay

I have an 8099, probably my favorite daytime compass. Fairly large bubble but those change size with pressure and temperature. Many of my compasses have bubbles in them. I have never found them to be a problem and have never tried to "fix" them. I doubt it can be done but I'm not sure.

Never had to send anything back to Brunton either so I am afraid I'm no help there either.

Regards,
Keith

This isn't a small bubble.. It started small but has since been slowly getting bigger I think.

if I measure it, it's easily a 1cm diameter and if I equate it to the 360° it would span about 40°

Jay

This isn't a small bubble.. It started small but has since been slowly getting bigger I think.

if I measure it, it's easily a 1cm diameter and if I equate it to the 360° it would span about 40°
Sounds like it might be a leak.

Considering all the wear on the compass and a leak in the capsule, the best fix might be a (horrors!) new compass...

Doug

It is a very slow leak, I've had the compass for probably a good time.. When did the US gov turn SA off? I've had the compass for a short bit while SA was still on. 3-4 years????

Anyway, I'm resourceful, I like to try to fix things rather than toss and spend. We live in a way too disposable society. I've fixed things around my house, and even fixed my electric shaver when the battery died even though it's fairly cheap.

If I don't hear from Brunton, I'd look into buying a new one and using this one as a backup. I looked at the 8097, but why oh why do they put the lanyard on the sighting line? I have my compass on my lanyard around my neck and I can sight a bearing easily because the compass is hanging with the sight line down.. With the 8097's lanyard connection on the opposite side as the 8096, the sight line will be reversed and I'd have to turn it over to take a bearing. Kind of wrong if you ask me.

I really like the circle in a circle thing and the magnified reading...

Jay

I have had numerous compasses develop bubbles. Some developed soon after purchase and others after years of use. Small bubbles usually become larger ones in time and eventually the compass becomes useless.

I have had a newer compass replaced by the store as good customer service. On one occasion a manufacturer refused to replace a compass with a bubble saying it was not a defect but rather abuse. They offered to replace the bezzel for a fee. This was not brunton.

I think that the bubbles are formed by a small leak caused by a visible or invisable crack. One of the compass from my collection with bubbles shows a very small crack.

I used to keep my compass in a ditty bag or loose in a pack pocket and believe this is not a good way to keep it from developing a bubble as it contact hard objects such as my swiss army knife etc.

I have recently made an effort to prolong the bubble-less status on my compasses by protecting them better. Specifically I have taken the original plastic clamshell packaging for the compass and cut it 1/8" larger than the compass. I formed a hinge on one side by stapling the plastic on one of the sides. The whole thing has is held together with a rubber band. I keep the compass in this "package" while it is in my pack. Then, in use, it hangs around my neck. To date, no bubble.

I do not think that refilling is a viable fix. I do not think it will be possible to get a good seal after the refill. Also the original entry point of the air into the bezzel will not be addressed. I think it is best to buy a new compass, and take the protective measures I describe above.

I have recently made an effort to prolong the bubble-less status on my compasses by protecting them better. Specifically I have taken the original plastic clamshell packaging for the compass and cut it 1/8" larger than the compass. I formed a hinge on one side by stapling the plastic on one of the sides. The whole thing has is held together with a rubber band. I keep the compass in this "package" while it is in my pack. Then, in use, it hangs around my neck. To date, no bubble.
I bought my main compass (a Silva Ranger CL) in the early '70s and have carried it in a custom leather case. The case is a bit worn but the compass still looks nearly new and has 3mm bubble that does not affect its use. (The bubble may actually relieve stress on the capsule due to temperature changes.)

I do not think that refilling is a viable fix. I do not think it will be possible to get a good seal after the refill. Also the original entry point of the air into the bezzel will not be addressed. I think it is best to buy a new compass, and take the protective measures I describe above.
Agreed. Also, considering how important a compass can be, does one really want to carry a patched unit?

Doug

Got a super quick reply from Brunton (emailed last night, post business hours) and they are covering it under warantee... Sweet. Two thumbs up to Brunton....

Now if Canon would learn something about customer service... :rolleyes:

Jay

Brunton is very good aboout backing their products, I've had very good results dealing with them in the past. Check their site n contact them, they will exchange the compass for a new one just as any of the compass companies will.

Contact info... http://www.brunton.com/faq.php go to the bottom of the page n click on CONTACT.

Last edited: