Building Campsites in your backyard (don't laugh)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All,

The significant other and I are going to be building 5 campsites in the backyard of our small cabin in Madison, NH so that we can accomodate large groups from time to time (VFTT gathering in the spring??? :D)

Any tips on the best way to do this? What material works best and prevents weeds/ferns from growing? Has to be a natural product though (i.e. no rubber, chemicals, etc.)

Any idea what the USFS or professional campgrounds use for materials? Any campground owners on this board?

Thanks!

- Roadtripper

Last edited:
You could build platforms or use the wood chips that are used in playgrounds. Line it underneath with landscape fabric (or cardboard, but that's a lot of leftover pizza boxes).

A friend of mine threw together a few tent platforms in his back yard for a party he had this summer. Very cool idea for those staying the night.

I removed the grass sod, ~ 2", and put down weed block landscape fabric.

The next year I had to add plastic edging cause the grass was sending off horiztonal shoots above the fabric.

Why exactly do you need to prevent anything from growing?

If it's going to get heavy use, or it's in a wet area, then some sort of platform will keep it from turning into mud. (Build a platform from wood, or fill a frame with a couple inches of coarse sand.) Otherwise, just say "put your tents over there by that tree."

Why exactly do you need to prevent anything from growing?

If it's going to get heavy use, or it's in a wet area, then some sort of platform will keep it from turning into mud. (Build a platform from wood, or fill a frame with a couple inches of coarse sand.) Otherwise, just say "put your tents over there by that tree."

No reason other than we want it to look good and inviting.

I've had bad luck with coarse sand...I've used that for horseshoes before...and weeds grew within a month.

Weeds in the backcountry are just part of the flora, weeds in your backyard campground appear unacceptable. I'd suggest either the fabric mentioned above or a thick (6mm) black poly barrier but I'd go down more than 2" because frost heaves etc. will likely expose the liner sooner or later. 6" would be my recommendation but those with landscape experience up north might suggest more. Personally, I'd let the grass grow and use narteb's approach ... it'll be more comfortable than wood chips and look better when not in use. Besides, the wood chips will decompose providing nice rich soil for ... weeds. I guess it all depends on how much you like mowing grass.

First I'd like to say: Isn't it AWESOME how nature knows where we WANT things to grow (they won't) and where we DON'T (they certainly will in abundance) ?

I'm planning a tent platform or 2. Wood frame on pilings. Off the ground (dry), level, deck like sans tents.

For a Backyard Campsite I would dirt-raise the area, make it level and maybe anchor some tarps on them to keep the weeds down.
If you were compelled, the ground tarps to kill the weeds could be rigged with a rope to be easily raised to form a tent roof over the tent area. :eek:

Don't forget that tent stakes will pierce any fabrics or tarps placed under/in the pads.

Personally, if it is a grassy yard, I'd just leave it as is. The grass will be a good camping surface and will recover it not used too often.

Doug

Last edited:
The biggest issue is drainage and soil compaction which go hand in hand. Grass is very effective for occasional use. Just buy an old lawnmower and mow it before use. If you look at most national forest campsites, they generally have removed the topsoil and built a raised gravel pad, that takes care of both issues, but if not used other nature will try to reclaim. If you have clay soils, the clay will migrate up into the gravel over a period of time, putting down drainage fabric under the gravel will stop that. Any rock with three feet of the ground line will gradually migrate upwards and without vegetation the frost action will be slightly more aggressive, this can cause long term issues with drainage fabric but most put up with it. Unfortunately 'nature abhors a vaccum' and it will try to reclaim whatever you put down.

And, I can guarantee peakbagger, any of those rocks that our frosts push up to the surface will surely find my back. Never fails.