bulk food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Ok...I remember something somewhere...in response to a string I started...about an online source for purchasing bulk food itmes (powdered eggs, seeds, other not so common things for hiking)...but can't find it...

Does anyone have that source handy they can forward to me?

Thanks.

Have you tried the dried veggies? In the past they have taken long cook/soak times and still not very tender after that.

I've found that dried veggies work best in stews and soups that can be given a long time to rehydrate - and will hide the "imperfect" texture.

Freeze dried veggies rehydrate quickly and have a better texture, but they're definitely more expensive.

I've found that dried veggies work best in stews and soups that can be given a long time to rehydrate - and will hide the "imperfect" texture.

Freeze dried veggies rehydrate quickly and have a better texture, but they're definitely more expensive.

We use dried veggies, dried mashed potatoes, gravy packets (or even beef broth cubes), and frozen breakfast sausages to make shepherd's pie on backpacking trips. The sausages have to be of the precooked variety and sealed in an air tight packaging for transportation. It makes a great first-night dinner on a backpack trip.

502456.jpg

Combine the two pots and eat till you burst.:)

I will second the use of dehydrated instead of dried foods for most backpacking where fuel weight and speed is an issue.

Knorr's (Lipton) sides with a handfull of different types of dehydrated veggies thrown in is a quick meal that requires not much fuel and is filling. Basically heat up the water to boiling, simmer for a minute, turn off the stove, add veggies and cover the pot with something to keep the heat in and its ready in about 5 to 10 minutes.

Do these cook up (rehydrate) fairly quickly on the trail?

Very fast, I'd say 5 min in your boiling water or dinner and they are done. I've used seperately the corn, peas, carrots but the "mixed veggies" are the best. Toss 1/2 cup in with any meal as your pasta/rice/whatever is cooking and its all done at the same time, even if they don't rehydrate all the way, they still taste great and you have a little crunch in your meal!

The blueberries are good in cereal, the mixed fruit we've thrown into a pudding mixture.....but it would have been better eaten dry by the handful.

I'd stick with their "veggie" products over the fruit.

if you go to the "store finder" on the top right of page, you can see if they sell in a store near you

Last edited: