Burgeon Outdoor Brand

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been scouring the "web" of late looking to tweak a few things in my gear and came across a NH company called Burgeon Outdoors. Sounded like a solid company with good ties to NH, etc, which I always like but it looks like it was just founded in 2019. Anyone familiar with the company and/or used their products? Looking at sun hoodies and their hoodies seem very good going off the specs at least.

If anyone has feedback on the brand let me know. Thanks in advance.

Funny you mention that name, the former Wild Things stitching room in Gorham NH recently had a for sale sign on it and now has a Burgeon Outdoors sign over the door. WIld Things used to make climbing gear but in the last few years it looked like they were mostly making gear for special forces (that need to be made in the US). Ragged Mountain also used to do that type gear also.

The place in Gorham is strictly a production shop, no factory store, look in the door and you can see sewing machines.

Here is my take, after me and my dog recently visited their Lincoln store. The line of clothing is vast and there are some thoughtful designs. The hoodies are nice, the Tuckerman polartec jacket is just about perfect, BUT, all the garments suffer from the same fatal flaw (imo) they are wayyy too long, I mean I could hack off 10 inches off the Tuckerman jacket. I did ask about this design flaw and was told this, "the owner is very tall and he was the model for all the clothes". To which I replied, what about hikers that are not 6'10"? Her reply, they might adjust the styles in the future.

Here is my take, after me and my dog recently visited their Lincoln store. The line of clothing is vast and there are some thoughtful designs. The hoodies are nice, the Tuckerman polartec jacket is just about perfect, BUT, all the garments suffer from the same fatal flaw (imo) they are wayyy too long, I mean I could hack off 10 inches off the Tuckerman jacket. I did ask about this design flaw and was told this, "the owner is very tall and he was the model for all the clothes". To which I replied, what about hikers that are not 6'10"? Her reply, they might adjust the styles in the future.
Napoleon had similar issues.

I have a few pieces of the clothing. Micro grid hoodie, Sun seeker hoodie and T shirt. Really like all 3 tops. Sun seeker material dries quickly and offers sun protection. Need to wear on more multi day trips to see if stink is an issue. Micro grid breathes well and I’ve used it as a mid layer in colder weather. Length seems right but I need to size up with their clothing. 5’ 9” and 145 lbs, athletic build. Need to wear a large. Overall impressed so far. This from a die hard merino wool guy. Base layers will still exclusively be well.

I'm 6'3" so that length might be welcome in my case.

I'll say this though: they send A LOT of promotional emails. Like 3-4 a day. I get they are small and promotion is necessary to grow but I never like that level of solicitation. Their stuff seems very expensive as well, although the materials they use seem to be of a high quality. I'll have to hit their store next time I am in the area. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

I'm 6'3" so that length might be welcome in my case.

I'll say this though: they send A LOT of promotional emails. Like 3-4 a day. I get they are small and promotion is necessary to grow but I never like that level of solicitation. Their stuff seems very expensive as well, although the materials they use seem to be of a high quality. I'll have to hit their store next time I am in the area. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Their marketing is why I haven't given them a look.

Let face the facts, American made gear is going to be substantially more expensive. The big cost in clothing is labor and legal US labor is going to cost more than a third world country, substantially more. Unless the folks doing the labor are direct employees, there are plenty of middleman that will get creative on labor sourcing and if the owners are not vigilant they may not even know that the labor is coming from offshore on onshore sweatshops. A sewing floor can be moved quickly and there are plenty of firms around the world with low-cost labor that will grab a contract at or below cost in hopes they can make it up by abusing their workers more or cutting more corners once the initial samples are sent out. In some cases the work is done by prison labor both in the US or in third world country.

Lots of firms try the US made approach but usually it is to build the brand and at some point they have to make money and that is when their formerly silent investors start making suggestions to reduce costs. They start out as suggestions but they soon become demands and unless the founders retain a lot of control, offshoring is inevitable or the company becomes a niche marketer.

If you look at the Burgeon story it hass been well massaged and inspirational. Looking up the founder he has the best of intentions, but he looks like he came from conventional businesses
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...-qa-with-rudy-glocker-ceo-of-burgeon-outdoor/
My guess is they have outsourced marketing and whatever firm they are using has decided that the most effective approach is to carpet bomb potential customers in hopes of building brand awareness. I just unsubscribe.

It sounds like a great story and maybe there is a big enough premium market for their goods but when someone drops by Lahout's and wants to buy a piece of gear they are probably going to skip the pricey stuff and buy an offshore lookalike. Look around on the web and there are plenty or folks "influencing" on how they are buying offshore lookalikes of US products that are good enough for their use. Reportedly there is or was a lot of gear built in a particular district in Saigon Vietnam, folks visiting the area could go order custom gear from firms that are making the gear for name brands and once the gear is picked out the customers could pick which logo they wanted and if they wanted a made in USA tag attached.

The only other approach is the niche market where the owner keeps the business small and cuts out the marketing chain and direct markets. ULA Gear started that way and still does so but even with cutting out the retail chain, its pricey stuff. Hyperlight Mountain Gear started out in Southern Maine with a local manufacturing operation but they now are offshoring. Chuck Roast in the Conway area was local manufacturer for years but when they finally closed the business it was reported that they just could not compete with the flood of imports. Ragged Mountain used to produce a lot of their gear locally and it was usually high quality and I still think they do some local production and contract work but most of the brands in the store are offshore. Minus 33 in NH was founded from folks with textile background but they offshore all their gear except for their socks. About the only regional outdoor product firm that I aware of that has stuck with local production is Cabot Hosiery Mills that makes Darn Tuff socks. They supply the US military with socks that have to be domestically sourced. They invested heavilly in automation, so labor is less of a unit cost and make a premium product that is not typically discounted.

I do like New Balance's approach, most of the production is offshore but they do maintain some US production and they sell it at premium as made in USA.

I'm not questioning the reality of US firms operating needs in the world today nor do I have any issue with it. I appreciate the Burgeon story as I have seen it on their website: high quality products, ethical, local company. I will (and have) paid extra for local products that do such things. I'm just put off by the heavy handed sales pitch in general so I don't always have a favorable reaction. I am not the guy a salesperson wants to talk out in the lot at an auto dealership....

I'm not questioning the reality of US firms operating needs in the world today nor do I have any issue with it. I appreciate the Burgeon story as I have seen it on their website: high quality products, ethical, local company. I will (and have) paid extra for local products that do such things. I'm just put off by the heavy handed sales pitch in general so I don't always have a favorable reaction. I am not the guy a salesperson wants to talk out in the lot at an auto dealership....
What's local and has inherent quality versus what works are different things. As Sierra was saying some of Burgeon's stuff just doesn't fit him correctly. All the function and what is perceived as more PC does not go too far if it does not fit correctly and therefore more likely will underperform. I have found and sure as many have here that certain brands fit better for a given individual than others. As far as the heavy sales pitch goes it depends on what I'm looking for and to what degree whether I need a sales pitch or not. I'm usually quite educated already when I'm looking for something, so I usually only need to fill in the cracks on my knowledge base. Although it can go the other way where I may need more help and the sales team turns out to be a bunch of bumps on a log. Also the "How green and ethical" our company is can get old real fast. I went recently into a Cotopaxi store which has some notable characteristics. My mistake was mentioning to the salesperson that the same location years previously had been a Patagonia store. Well, my bad but that landed up being an ear full if not borderline ranting by the salesperson that we at Cotopaxi will never be Patagonia......and on and on. Yawn.... One of the latest trends I've seen is the salesperson is totally reliant on their Smartphone as their knowledge base. Given the information is readily at hand but a bit impersonal. I can look something up myself. Bottom line some positive interaction goes a long way whether it be too much or not enough.

I have a few pieces of the clothing. Micro grid hoodie, Sun seeker hoodie and T shirt. Really like all 3 tops. Sun seeker material dries quickly and offers sun protection. Need to wear on more multi day trips to see if stink is an issue. Micro grid breathes well and I’ve used it as a mid layer in colder weather. Length seems right but I need to size up with their clothing. 5’ 9” and 145 lbs, athletic build. Need to wear a large. Overall impressed so far. This from a die hard merino wool guy. Base layers will still exclusively be well.
The Sun Seeker is a great shirt but it does have the propensity to become the Sun Stinker after a couple days in the heat.

I have the Washington outer layer and Jen has a couple sunseekers and I think the Franconia jacket. All her stuff fits great. My jacket is cut for a more athletic build than my chubby build, but it stretches.

Their gear and shop are nice, as are the friendly people. We haven't shopped there in a few years mostly because their selection is limited.

I don't believe in virtue shopping, we bought the stuff because it looked cool. We stumbled over after eating at One Love.