Bushwhack to Vose Spur

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there has bushwhacked to Vose Spur from the summit of Carrigain. If so, any suggestions for this novice bushwhacker?

I did this bushwhack several years ago. It is very thick spruce/fir most of the way with a few blowdown patches in various states of regeneration. There are a couple of false herd paths that start at the tower but they rapidly peter out. There are a couple of very steep slopes with occasional small ledges. The is one loose talus slope dropping into the lowest col.

Safety glasses and work gloves are strongly recomended.

In general, a classic bushwhack that you will remember !. If you want to save some challenge, take the traditional route directly up from the beaver pond. It took us between 2 and 3 hours to go from summit to summit. I defintely wouldnt recomend it as a "novice bushwhack"

I'd recommend against it (making it unanimous so far). The route from the Carrigan Notch trail in Gene's notes is also well described, easy to follow, not too thick, steep, and fun. I really enjoyed that one (but when do I not?) Note: stay left of the talus slope on the ascent. As you approach the ledges, cheat left a bit and the route will become clear.

This is a good follow up to Fort, and a confidence builder (but it is steep!).

We did it from Carrigain's summit.
From the summit, head into the clearing east of the tower and look for a herd path.
We stayed with the height of land along the ridge until we got to the col.
My recollection is that it was reasonably easy-going up to that point.
After crossing the tallus slope down into the col we tried going straight up (again, along the ridge's height of land).
It was brutal. Thick scrub and vertical ledges. There were times when we had to pull ourselves up by grabbing the base of a tree while trying to get under one log and over another and ughh. And when we could actually walk upright, we had to bull our way through the trees. It was a tough one.
I suggest that from the tallus slope, head toward the right (south?) and try to stay at the same elevation until you find an area where the forest thins out.
Bring band-aids.
Good luck.
Have fun.

I've approached Vose Spur from Carrigain twice over the years, though not recently. "Jim W" describes it well, as I remember it. It's fairly easy all the way down to the talus field col (great views!) but is a very thick bushwhack from there. You will be climbing up and down continuously(!) over blowdowns to within a few hundred (vertical) feet of the Vose Spur summit.

I've mentioned here before that I have a writeup of how to approach Vose Spur through steep but mostly all open woods. It's not a direct line, so you'll get to practice your bushwhack skills. E-mail me with your address and I'll send it along.