Bushwhacking without four limbs at your disposal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
A Norwegian adventurer, Lars Monsen, has assembled a team this summer of eleven relatively green wilderness trippers. They're on their way across northern Scandinavia above the Arctic Circle right now, sponsored by the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. The sum of functioning legs, arms, eyes, and ears for the entire group is something less than the number that one might ordinarily expect. ;)

Next time we're cursing the bugs, the brambles, and the branches, we might pause to remember this example. Even if you don't understand a lick of Norwegian, you may well enjoy the semi-daily video and photos posted on the trip web site. Here's the first bushwhacking vids.

(In Norway, they tell Monsen jokes like we tell Chuck Norris jokes. One of my favorites: A bear doesn't hibernate -- it's hiding from Lars Monsen.)

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the expedition is named "Ingen grenser" in Norwegian -- i.e., "No Boundaries" in English. It's probably a pun that rests both on the character of what is going on and on where they're doing it. (Monsen regularly wanders back and forth across the Finnish--Swedish--Norwegian borders in the north in all seasons. He has also traveled solo across the breadth of Canada, across Alaska with a companion, and solo from one end of Norway to the other.)

Last edited: