Camel's Hump -- Friday, 2/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
This Friday I'll make my first attempt at Camel's Hump 4083' in The Green Mountains of Vermont. This bald mountain is part of the NE67 for all the list-addicts out there as well as possesses a clean prominence of 1860' -- not quite 2000' but good enough, right!

Since I am unfamiliar with that area I'm going to attempt it via. The Monroe Trail which I believe is the most popular. It's about 3.5miles and about 2800' elevation to the summit. Meet me at the Monroe Trail-head at 7:45am if you're interested.

Hope to see you...

Regards,

Dr. Wu

PS. Tom, you should do this trip; your presence is requested.

Driving in, keep left as you approach the summer lot. Park at the winter lot and walk back to the 'Y' and in.

As for the Monroe, I suggest you take a left on the Alpine to LT route near the top. You pass the bomber wreckage and the final climb on the LT is brilliant.

Finest mountain in Vermont, I always say. Have fun.

Tramper Al said:
Driving in, keep left as you approach the summer lot. Park at the winter lot and walk back to the 'Y' and in.

As for the Monroe, I suggest you take a left on the Alpine to LT route near the top. You pass the bomber wreckage and the final climb on the LT is brilliant.

Finest mountain in Vermont, I always say. Have fun.

Thanks Al, I think I saw the winter lot on the map I have but I'll take your advice and visit the bomber wreckage!

So, does this mean you're "in" for Friday!? :D

Regards,

Dr. Wu

David Metsky said:
Bring skis! This is a much better ski than hike. :)

-dave-

I don't know how to ski! :confused: :(

Dalraida knows how to ski, so if he comes he can tow me. I'll enjoy this trail one way or another!

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
So, does this mean you're "in" for Friday!? :D
Ah, I'm afraid not. The reason I volunteered fresh first hand knowledge is that I was just there a week ago - so on to other adventures.
Dave is right of course. The Monroe trail is just zig-zagged with ski tracks - fairly open woods and a fine grade for skiing.

A friend and I hiked the Monroe trail last month and found more ski tracks than hiker/snowshoe tracks!! We ended up following them right off into the woods in a couple of spots!
I'm a good downhill skiier, but not when there are that many trees involved!
Have a fun hike and enjoy those views!!

Anyone interested in this hike for Friday? Tom isn't sure if he's going (in fact, I may have to pull him up the mountain on a sled!) and it'd be nice if some other people could join me (us)!

Regards,

Dr. Wu